Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Desperate to hear things will improve

Hi I'm Bev. I'm new here. I'm really looking for reassurance I suppose. I've been suffering with sciatica since August this year when I banged my back on the corner of a window frame when manoeuvring backwards whilst mowing my lawn.

I've struggled with paracetamol and things were improving however I went to a party last week and wore heels for a few hours (nothing else different) the following afternoon I noted my pain increasing and by the following day I was in such severe pain it was indescribable. It is worse if I sit and after laying in bed overnight I cannot weight bear for this pain. My gp thinks it is muscular but paramedics (today as so bad) think herniated disc. Gp advises I may not qualify for MRI but agreed to refer.  The pain goes from my sacroiliac area right down to my foot, pain in especially bad side of knee area. My question is this: has anyone else experienced this and how do they cope? I'm taking paracetamol and codeine but tonight have been prescriped pregabalin 50mg but I'm really worried about side effects.  I'm hoping people can reassure me. Any advice on how to sleep, position etc, would also be greatly appreciated. (After sitting for 20mins just to compose this I cannot weight bear withour agony).

advertisement

Comments

• Bev, right now it’s to early to tell, could be a combination of all of the above. I know this isn’t the answer you wanted but you’ll be told the same. Lay off the high heels! Ice and warm compresses, ibuprofen on a full stomach if no other health issues and relax! Sometimes just resting the area solves the problems! Regardless, follow up with your regular MD to find the source and treat the source!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

rll54 said:

Ibuprophen along with acetominophen is probably as effective as Percocet.  Sitting is the worst thing you can do when you have sciatica

Perocet comes in various dosages, so a blanket statement that Ibuprofen and acetaminophen has the same effect is really a misleading statement 

Sitting can make sciatica more noticeable, but so can almost any position you stay in for a while.  Standing, laying down, for extended periods can cause the same discomfort as you get from sitting for a while.  With sciatica, sometimes the best position is to always be moving around, not stationary in one place for too long

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • it will get better, but it takes a long time. Also, the way you treat your back during this time makes all the difference. If you wear heels, carry heavy things, etc, you wont heal. Have you tried a heating pad. My healingsped up when i would lay on my back with an electric heating bad on my back for a couple of hours at night ( not while sleeping). Also, you should try an anti-inflamatory like Aleve (on a full stomach). Cross your fingers for an MRI. Also, you should google "Dermatomes" and see if you can identify your exact pain location. If its a disc issue, the dermatome could help identify where it is. good luck!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
advertisement