Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

No "push-off" on right foot after L5-S1 microdisectomy

Hello.  I had an L5-S1 microdisectomy in April 2016. Although the severe pain subsided, I've lost my ability to push off with my right foot.  This means I walk with a limp, which creates it's own set of muscular problems, and have a terrible and painful callous on my heel.  Since all of my weight is on my right heel when I walk, it is like an extreme bruise that will never heel.

Since surgery, I've been fitted for a carbon fiber leg brace, which is supposed to force my foot to push off.  However, the brace causes another set of issues and pain.  

I had an EMG which showed the S1 nerve is still damaged, and have been diagnosed with radiculopathy of the right extremity.  I do not want to use the term "permanently " damage, as I hope it will eventually heal.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and how they were able to find relief or a remedy.  The pain in my heel is absolutely affecting my quality of life, as I am unable to walk or stand for a long amount of time.

Thank you for your input. 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi-you just told my story. It's my L foot, and I walk on my heel and outer side of foot. I live in light sandals as a shoe is heavy and hard to lift.(tripping). I'm 12 years in. The surgery helped with the back pain but created new problems. I got  a bakers cyst behind my knee and a torn meniscus. I feel this is from my gait but surgeon won't confirm. Knee surgery repaired tear, but this new pain is  ongoing. I've begun having a lot of hip pain and  really have trouble with my balance.  I can't stand in place and only walk short distances without a walking stick. I'm exhausted all the time and am having trouble working for 8 hours. I'm maxed on my pain meds(if I still want to function). Talk about quality of life-I've forgot what that is. 

Hopefully you've found some relief! It was good to vent to someone who truly understands.

Thanks for reading

• LizLiz Posts: 9,445

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it. If they return we can reopen the discussion.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.