Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December 2018 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in December, 2018

Sandra
Spine-Health Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my  Medical History
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587

I've had a few questions about finding Dec. Surgery Buddies  Here it is for anyone having surgery.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hi memerainbold! 

I’ve been reading your posts and you seen amazingly knowledgeable and so kind!! I have a question I hope you can help me with!  I currently have a spinal cord stimulator that was inplanted in 2011 and I am scheduled to have a pain pump implant within the next couple weeks. While I am super excited about finally getting relief, I’m also worried as I’m supposed to start a new job at the end of this month!  I need this surgery so incredibly bad but I also am worried about the job that I’m starting and I’m just curious if you have information regarding how long the recovery actually takes. I think I recovered in maybe 2 to 3 weeks when I had my first SCS implant surgery, then I had the battery replaced in 2014, then in 2016 I had a fusion (S1, L4, L5) but now of course it’s much worse and moving up, so now I’m at the pain pump phase. I’m scared to DEATH  that the recovery will take the stated 6 to 8 weeks I read online and I’m curious to know if you have experience or knowledge otherwise. I’m so scared I’m going to ruin the chance at my new director job. Any help is greatly appreciated!  

• advertisement

TaraR
    Welcome to Spine-Health and Dec. Surgery Buddies!!

Thank you so much for the kind compliment, that means a lot to me. 
    My neurosurgeon had told me that normally with a pain pump implant, you go home the next day. I had complications due to the pain  because they had to cut a muscle to place the pump in instead of normally making a pocket out of fat. After I went home, the incision sites were sore but that was all. 
    But like any other surgery, no bending, twisting, lifting or pulling for 6 weeks. You have to give your body time to create scar tissue around the pump to hold it in place. No different than a SCS. From the looks of it, you've been through worse.
    When do you start your new job? And, congratulations on that!! Will you need a release from your doctor to go back to work? If so, tell him how important this is as long as you are careful.
    If I can be of any more help just let me know. I'll help all I can.
    Keep us posted on dates and how you are doing.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 189

Good luck,  Tara... and yes,  Mem/Sandra is very nice.  And now,  Sandra,  i am finally posting here...

December 2018:

L3-5 decompression and L4,5 fusion

I am going with a back surgeon.  I originally saw a neurosurgeon who wanted to do a more extensive operation,  namely L3 and 4 and 5 lateral fusion; L3-5 pedicle screw fixation; L4-5 facetectomy; and decompress right side. The back surgeon will not put in any hardware.  I'm  not sure what the difference  is between a neurosurgeon and a back surgeon,  but i got a good impression of the latter and less is more,  no?

"No bending,  twisting,  or lifting for six weeks"

Oh my how will i manage that!?   I did have "minimally invasive" back surgery in Feb 2016 (the neurosurgeon)  and i managed that OK...

I wanted to edit my post but i can't. By "less is more" i meant that the back surveon is proposing a considerably less radical surgery than was the neurosurgeon (and also another neurosurgeon who my pc doctor sent me to for a second opinion, but basically he just yessed the first one).

• advertisement

Arizona
    Welcome to Dec. Surgery Buddies!! And thank you for the compliment. What is the date of your surgery? What's more important than any thing is that you have faith and confidence in your surgeon, no matter who he is. It is your positive attitude that will get you though this. 
    Work on your no "BLT's" now. I was taught to spin on your heels instead of twisting and I still do that to this day. Below is a link you can also start working on for when you come home from the hospital. It has helped so many other members.
    Post Op Must Haves 
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator

The surgery is the second week in December. I go for yet another mri tomorrow since the last one was just over a year ago. Then i go for another consult with the doctor the following week. Thank you for the link, Sandra. I already have most of those things. I'll try to start practicing the no blt's now.  I'm particularly concerned because i live alone.

Arizona
    Do you have anyone that will be with you at least for the first few days? You probably have already thought of this but prepare food ahead of time and put in freezer. Make everything very accessible, arms reach. 
    Let me know the exact date when you have it.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • My multi-level ACDF C5-C7 is scheduled for December 4th.  I am pretty nervous about this surgery.  They are advising that I will have to do an overnight hospital stay. The Doctor also says that I will have some swallowing issues for awhile. Has anyone else had any swallowing challenges or range of motion issues?

Ashantix
    Welcome to Dec. Surgery Buddies! Below are some articles for you to read, very informative.
    ACDF Surgery 
    3 things to know about neck range of motion after ACDF surgery
    Recovery, the most important phase 
    Post Op Must Haves 

The last one is a very comprehensive list that everyone uses.
    Take care and hope to hear from you soon. If you would like, tell us what led up to you having to have surgery.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
advertisement