Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December 2018 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• How is everyone doing today?

• Hi there 

I posted a while ago following L4/5 Microdiscectomy, however I lost the thread. I’m now 5 weeks post op and worried about the new hip pain and increased sciatica. I spoke with my consultant yesterday who said to do PT and come back in 6 weeks, as he doesn’t want to reoperate. I’ve been speaking to a really helpful member who has said this is normal, I just want to see if everyone who has had a Microdiscectomy is feeling hip pain as well? Currently due to go back to work in two weeks and I really don’t see me physically being able to.

Tempted to go to my old osteopath for a check on my hip/pelvis due to prior misalignment. 

Thanks

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,355

Hardythere
    It's only been 5 weeks. Depending on how bad and/or how long the nerves were compressed, will depend on them waking up. Some people have nerve pain immediately, others take a while, but it is common. Have you been walking a lot? 
    Can you tell the difference if your hip pain is that or is it due nerve pain? But still check with your doctor.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi Everyone!

Hope you are having a pain free day today.

I'm still having a hard time with the pain, and trying to get comfortable. Saw my neurosurgeon yesterday, and my pain management doctor this morning. We're backing off of the oxycodone from 20mg/6hrs to 10/325 every 4 hrs round the clock to keep the meds in my system. I'm actually glad to back off the oxycodone, as I want to be able to drive in the near future, and Randy can go back to work at the office. His boss is a wonderful guy who believes family is very important, and Randy has been able to work from home.

I do have some good news. I signed up for a craft show coming up in April. I will need to get busy on the creative front, but I really need this for healing of mind and body. I love being creative, and Randy actually enjoys helping me out with this. He might even create something to sell. At least he's my biggest cheerleader and gives me honest feedback.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, in case I get so busy with creative work. I'm so glad I sent in my application. My spirit is definitely lifted by doing this. 

Maelinde
    Good to hear from you, thanks for the update. A creative mind is not a depressed mind. What do you make for craft shows? My husband and I used to do the same thing, he would sell his wood working and I would sell my quilts. I really miss those days.
    Happy crafting!!

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sandra! I do all kinds of things ranging from jewelry, bead woven projects, loom knitting, and my favorite is polymer clay sculpting. Randy does polymer clay, too. He likes to do Sci-Fi sculpts, while I do mostly Celtic themed Green Man designs.

For all who need to do occupational therapy, polymer clay is so awesome to help your hands. Just kneading it helps, and it feels good. Plus, if the creative bug hits, you can make some neat things. There are lots of tutorials online and books you can get at any craft store.

I'm going to start with loom knitting, as Randy needs a new hat for winter. Then stuff for sale. I'm so excited to do this show. My mood has already improved. Pain is bad today, but I know it will be better soon.

Hoping everyone is feeling better today and that you all continue to improve.

Maelinde

Having a hobby, even after surgery is so good for the mind. It keeps you focused on other things while you are still using your hands. I'm sorry the pain is acting up today, but like I always say "this too shall pass". Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Sandra
  • Just curios how long incision site pain lasts. I’m almost at 6 weeks post op and it is still quite sore especially at night when sleeping. I have my first appt after surgery this week so I’ll discuss with my Dr.

• Hi everyone!

5weeks post op tomorrow! I went back to work (4 hours a day) yesterday and I’m feeling pretty good, definitely tired after 4 hours. I’m lucky that my boss is very understanding and I can lay down on a couch to unload if I need to, which I have needed to do For 10 min or so and then I’m recharged

I had physical therapy today as well, my therapist was upset because I had more steps (on Fitbit) the he did, ha ha. He also massaged my incision, that felt so good! 

X-rays next week! Hopefully I get the hard shell off my back brace then as well, as long as everything is fusing.

I hope you are all recovering well and are relatively pain free!

• I had ACDF C4-C7 on Dec 28th.  Going on week 4 post op.  I still have neck pain and numbness in my fingers.  It took 2 weeks to be able to swallow regular food.  It is a long recovery!   How is everyone doing?

advertisement