Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December 2018 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• Hi everyone,

Hadn't posted for a bit, as I've had a minor setback. My surgical incision opened up. Saw my neurosurgeon, and while he was concerned, he wasn't alarmed. It wasn't open too deep, so no hardware or bone wasn't exposed. No infection was found, either.

He arranged for a home health nurse that's well versed in wound care that will visit me regularly to apply and change dressings to help the incision heal from the inside out. She comes Monday, so we just have to be super careful in keeping the gauze dressings clean and dry.

Randy totally freaked out when he saw it. He doesn't understand my relaxed attitude about it. I trust my team of doctors and nurses, so I see no reason to freak out. I've seen pictures of it and still figure that as long as we keep it up, I'll be ok.

The pain is worse, as to be expected. I can't do PT or OT until my neurosurgeon clears me again. However, I can do some light walking around the house to keep the muscle strength up.

I'm hanging in there. Just didn't expect this. The cats seem to know something is going on, as they keep piling on me, giving lots of snuggles and love. I could think of worse things.

I'll keep you posted as I get better.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a pain free day.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,364

Maelinde
    I am so sorry you have had a setback. And poor Randy, he just cares about you and doesn't want to see you go through anything else. Hang in there and take care. Please let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I will. Randy really takes great care of me and I can tell he loves me a lot.

Can't wait to see the skilled nurse that's coming over tomorrow. She's going to be taking care of the dressing on my back. Still in pain, but I have faith that i will get better soon.

Hugs to you.

• Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

• Sorry you had a set back...I think our pets know when we do not feel well...My dog has not left my side since coming home from the hospital. He sure is a comfort when I start to feel down, pain hits, etc. 

• advertisement
  • 5-week post op Update (2 level ALIF/PLIF).  My hip is finally doing much better from the bone graft.  I can now walk without pain and have been able to put the cane and rollator away.  Oh, and I can go up and down stairs normally as long as I go slow and hold on to the handrail.  The Hip still gets stiff from sitting very long and my back gets stiff from laying down too long.  :)  Catch 22  

I'm only taking a couple Extra Strength Tylenol a couple of times a day and my family Dr gave me an Rx for Ambien to help sleep at night.  I used to sleep on my side/stomach before the surgery and it's been hard to get comfortable enough to sleep on my back.

This is the first week that I've been able to work my full-time schedule of 6 hours a day.  I work from home as a computer programmer so that makes it easier.  Up until this week, it was only 2 to 4 hours a day with several breaks.  Finally feeling more normal but still watching the BLT.

My post-op is Feb 11th and I'm hoping to get released from some of the restrictions.  I'm also hoping that the Dr will finally let me start PT and get my hip back in shape and be able to exercise and do more walking.  Currently, I'm just doing some minor walking around the house and some exercises they gave me when I was released.

Patty

Patty
    Thanks for the update!! Sounds like you are doing well and not in a lot pain, which is great. When you get released from some of the restrictions, still be careful. We all tend to overdo!! To this day I still spin on my heels instead of twisting.
    Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
  • Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm hanging in there. Incision is still open, but it is healing. Randy's doing a great job with changing out the dressing. It's a wet to dry that has to be packed with a special gauze. The home health nurse comes in once a week to make sure that things are going well.

Got switched back to morphine, as it makes me really sleepy and out of it, keeping me from getting up too much. No PT until I get cleared by the neurosurgeon next month. The incision opened up 1.5cm deep and 2.5cm long when I was first seen by the home health nurse. She said it is slowly healing from the inside out. Ron Dilauro is so right about the whole patience thing. 

While this is tough, I think I did the right thing about getting the PLIF surgery in December. I was making some progress before all of this, and I'm sure I will again once I get past this hurdle.

Thank you guys for the encouragement and support. I intend to stick around for a while on this site just in case my journey can help someone who is going through something similar.

Maelinde
    Great to hear from you and thanks for the update!! Thank you for sticking around and posting on your recovery. That is what is so good about Surgery Buddies, it helps other members that will be going through the same surgeries.
    I'm so glad you are doing better and like you said, get over the hurdles!! You are so lucky to have Randy by your side and supporting you like he has. 
    Take care and let us know how you are progressing.

Sandra
  • Hey,

Hopefully everyone is recovering well.  I have been doing really good myself up until waking up this morning with intense left leg pain that is consistent all day.  I’m 3.5 months out of my laminectomy and discectomy.  So far during recovery I’ve had random intermittent nerve pain on my left leg that maybe last for a minute or so but not all day.  It’s really bad when I sit down too.  Which was pretty okay for me for the last 2 months.  And when I do “nerve flossing” the pain shoots all the way up to my hip and lower back.  I’v been going to PT and recently filed for a re-authorization  so waiting on that which can take weeks.    I put a call into my surgeons office with no response yet.   This is so scary to feel like things are back to how it was pre surgery to some extent.  Has anyone else been through this? 

advertisement