Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

The Only Way I Was Able To Stop Smoking

December 2, 2017 I went cold turkey, but only because I felt like I was  backed into a corner and didn't have a choice. I made it through because a surgeon said he would not do an operation on me if I had nicotine in my system. He actually gave me a nicotine test to make sure I was being honest when I said "I quit," but I passed it and have surgery scheduled for next week. 

Nothing had worked for me down through the years, including gum, patches, dares, bets, prayers, self-shaming, love, health or money. Then along came Mr. Pain. Ah, yes. Mr. Pain. After 48 years of smoking I had finally found my motivation. 

I did buy an inexpensive vape stick (with no nicotine juice) to take care of the hand-to-mouth-and-take-a-drag desire, but one month later I'm not using it at all. I credit that for helping me more than anything, especially in those circumstances where I would automatically fire up without thinking about it (like getting in my pickup truck). The cravings were insane. 

I did a lot of things on the computer and lurked within several different quit smoking forums, searching for what to expect on whatever specific day I happened to be struggling through. I didn't care what to expect on the second or third month or a year down the road because I wasn't sure I'd make it that far. I typed up a storm while keeping a record of my journey. I made lengthy responses to posts I'd read through but never add them to the discussion because they were far too long. I was obsessed with finding out what I could expect tomorrow about cravings or anything related to smoking while at the same time prowling through forums about my specific back pain and the surgery others went through to get relief... or not. This post, by the way, will probably never be posted, but it's keeping my hands and mind busy. 

I otherwise occupied my hands by munching on pumpkin seeds, peanuts, mixed nuts, raw veggies, apple-cranberry juice (I feel like it cleaned my mouth out and cut the smoker taste), orange juice , and water. Lots and lots of water. Iced tea and coffee were triggers, so I backed off (but didn't quit) those. I also had popcorn, chips and other snacks; tended to get the flavored kind like BBQ, Vinegar, and Dill. Those, again, to cut the taste in my mouth. And I brushed my teeth and/or used a shot of mouthwash now and again throughout the day. Brushing was more to cut the taste of wanting a cigarette than to keep my teeth clean after eating through the day. 

I had very vivid and weird dreams too... and I mean WEIRD dreams. No nightmares, though, and none I can remember where I smoked in them. In fact I could hardly remember much more than how weird those dreams were, so they weren't "bad" dreams. They were just.... weird. 

Throughout the day, both at home and at work, I kept smelling phantom cigarette smoke somewhere close by. We live in the country, so it wasn't like I was smelling smoke from a neighbor's back porch or someone walking past the house. I work in a prison and it's a smoke free environment, so imagine the looks I got every evening while trying to find a phantom smoker who wasn't there. 

So if you're trying to quit smoking, don't stop trying. Steady as she goes. Keep driving, trucker. Don't give up the ship. Hang in there. Maybe compare it being on a diet; if you get bucked off the horse by eating a donut (or twelve), don't beat yourself up for it... jump back in the saddle and continue on your way. Keep trying. If you get lucky you'll find your motivation sooner rather than later.

I've always admired a quitter. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587

Mudflap

Great story!! And with a lot of humor, thank you.
    I quit many years ago by timing myself and by laying out so many cigs a day, that was all I could have. It worked for me.
    Last year I had to go cold turkey on some of my meds and that was nothing compared to quitting smoking! lol

Congratulations!!

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you, memerainbolt. Thankyouverymuch. 

Belated congrats on your quitting! I know people who quit the way you described but I was never able to do it that way. 

I've always heard people say that quitting smoking was the hardest thing they've ever done. It's scary to think about quitting because of all the horror stories out there, but it looks to me that the Internet makes so many forums, support groups and facts available to the average Joe that they kinda take at least a little bit of the "scary" out of it. 

• advertisement
  • During the first week or so of my quit I felt like the devil himself had made it a personal goal of his to get me smoking again. I've beaten him into submission though. 

With a baseball bat. 

In the first few days after I quit I was constantly ciphering about my smoking habit to figure out exactly what I was up against and how difficult it was going to be to break it. Never mind the addiction to nicotine, which would be bad enough by itself, but I finally started to really think about the other triggers and habits that would work against me far longer than the nicotine would last in my bloodstream. Could that be the meaning behind the "you gotta have a plan" phrase that the quit-smoking sites are always talking about? I didn't have time to make any plans for this quit. I jumped into the deep end of the pool and hoped I'd somehow be able to keep my head above water until I could somehow struggle to the shallow end where my feet could reach bottom. 

Somewhere during that time I stumbled upon this line of reasoning... Smoking 20 cigarettes a day is 140 cigarettes per week, 600 cigarettes a month, and 7,300 cigarettes each year. I've been smoking 48 years and one pack a day is a realistic average over that time. Check my math, but that's 350,400 cigarettes throughout my lifetime, and even at 30 cents a pack that's a pretty good chunk of change. 

So this is where my mind took me... 

I figured I would have difficulty with triggers such as coffee when I first wake up, iced tea while sitting on the porch, after meals, while driving my pickup from point a to point b, and how many other triggers I didn't even know yet, but for one thing I would bend my arm ... and I'm making the following number up but it's a fair number ... at least four times per cigarette to take each drag and finish each ciggie, so multiplying 350,400 x 4 = 1,401,600. Having bent my arm 1,401,600 times while smoking was a true habit I would have to be aware of, and I realized it would take more than a few days to break that association with something I'd done for nearly half a century. 

So stay with me here... 

I also realized that every time I quit smoking I've never reached for a pack of cigarettes that wasn't there... not even once... because I knew every second of every day I didn't have any. I desperately wanted a cigarette and thinking about not having one didn't help me not want one. I told my mind "What we have here is failure to communicate." 

Here's my accidental solution... 

What got me over that hump was the purchase of a vape stick (not cigarette shaped) with no-nicotine juice. I decided $20.00 for a vape stick and $5.00 each for three small containers of different flavored liquids was far less expensive than the $200.00 I would have spent on sickerettes. As an added bonus, a month after I started using the vape stick, I don't even use it anymore. Turns out I had used the vape stick as a temporary crutch and when I no longer needed the crutch, being able to stand on my own, I stopped using it. 

Wasn't planned that way but it certainly worked out to my benefit. 

I've seen lots and lots of quotes and read lots and lots of comments over the years about quitting cigarettes, but none have really stayed with me until this last quit. Some of you may have already seen the following three statements but they were new to me and have stayed in my mind during the worse part of my nicotine withdrawal: 

"N.O.P.E. = Not One Puff, Ever" 

"If you think you're miserable because you don't have a cigarette remember you'll be even more miserable if you DO have one"

"If you have one cigarette you'll be back where you started, and that place where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are today"

Each person will take their own route to get to where they want to be, and I think most everyone can agree that what works for one person will not work for everyone. On the other hand, it could be beneficial for each of us to pass along methods that worked for us. 

Can I get an amen?

• I agree with the taste factor. I used tic-tacs when I went cold turkey. I don't know how many containers I went through before I could stop.

• Hey, alliecat, it's been two full months and, whether real or imagined, I STILL have the bad taste factor. 

• advertisement
  • December 2, 2017 to February 2, 2018. Today ends my second calendar month of no smoking. In the past 62 days I have personally saved 1,240 cigarettes from incineration. For those who are mathematically challenged or just don't care enough to figger the numbers up, that's 62 packs of sickerettes I've not smoked. Absolutely astonishes me.

• February 6, 2018.

I'm in no danger of falling off the wagon but want to pass along that I could "smell" cigarettes all day yesterday. All. Fricking. Day. I could still smell 'em when I went to bed. 

We live in the country so it ain't like I got a second-hand whiff from someone who walked past our house while smoking or anything like that... and they'd have to have been smoking on the porch all day long anyhow. Now it's the start of a new day and I've got that odor again. I know it's in my head but jeez.... it's so real. 

Don't leave a comment because I'm NOT fishing for compliments or looking to get an "attaboy" or "hang in there" or "stay tough" or "I went through the same thing" or "don't give up" or anything like that: I'm just sayin' I'm going through a rough patch with totally unexpected phantom odors. 

I've come too far to fail and will beat this. 

• No odor of sickerettes during the past week. Still have the urge/desire to smoke, but the urge/desire isn't so strong that I'm considering actually and physically going to town to buy a pack. 

The urge for a ciggie isn't upon me all day long but does rear it's ugly head a couple of times. Even though the desire is pretty strong it isn't nearly as insaney strong as it was the first couple of weeks. I take it that that means my mind is getting better at dealing with the urges. 

I'm not in any danger of falling off the wagon. 

• Had my first dream about smoking last night. I've read about people dreaming about smoking but thought I had somehow skipped that part. Nope. 

When I woke up I was really bummed out because I thought I had smoked a ciggie and was also bummed because I was so quick to fire one up. When I woke it took me several seconds to realize it was only a dream and I hadn't actually smoked before going to bed last night.

Now that I'm in the light of day all is well but good grief... what a fright.

• Oh how I love your posts. Would like to hear how it’s going. I am thinking constantly about quitting. I’ve smoked for...35 years in one capacities or another. From a weekend closet smoker to a “bender” that would be a pack plus. My thoughts always go back to my neurosurgeon telling me before my cervical fusion that because I was a smoker, he would have to take bone from my hip instead of cadaver bone. It would heal better I suppose. Went through that painful nightmare and still suffer occasional pain five years later. NOW I’m looking at possible surgery again. That in addition to wanting to get rid of the nasty wet cough, constantly having URIs, and hating the smell...I need to desperately stop. Your posts are inspiring me. Would you be so kind to continue to journal your journey? It’s helpful for us, truly helpful! 

Can you get an Amen???? Absolutely!

AAAAAAMEN!!!

advertisement