Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spondylolisthesis - SpineMED decompression therapy?

I am a 33 yo active male recently diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis  L5-S1  Grade 1 (20% slip), bilateral pars defect, and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis. Mild degenerative disc disease + mild posterior annular bulge L5-S1. Hyperlordosis at the lumbosacral junction. Report noted " appears to be stable" 

I have been on hold / unable to get in with my PT referred to by my spine doc since the onset of symptoms 5 weeks ago (I'm meant to start next week) - while waiting someone has referred me to a chiro who is strongly suggesting flexion table decompression (3-4 sessions), followed by 9-10p sessions on a decompression devise called SpineMED in order to help release the "wedged" L5 disc. I did some research and found that bilateral pars defects and Spondy grade 2 and above are contraindicated from this techni1u. Another reference noted Spondy as contraindicated completely. I've read some physical therapist reviews suggesting against these practices as they can create "instability" and mentioned things like water running in lieu (wearing flotation belt in pool allowing weight of legs to natural decompress spine while getting some exercise). Seems there are mixed views on this - some suggesting to stay away and others strongly supporting the efficacy of this technique for someone with stable spondy grade 1.  

Does anyone have any experience with Spondy and these traction / decompression methods that they can share? 

More about me: 

I am nearly 6 weeks post initial symptoms -  shooting nerve pain has subsided and currently have off/on pain, tightens, etc in upper glutes - bilateral but slightly stronger on right side. Occasional numbness in right foot but no shooting pains down the leg. Most pain during sitting. 

Thanks everyone. 

advertisement