Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery Alternative

Hello All,

Been reading a lot on her lately, but wanted to post my situation as I have not come across one completely similar.

Back in July, I was at dinner with my family and I got a sharp pain in my leg (left hamstring). Brushed it off, continued to happen here and there, so I went to doctor. She thought it was my hamstring and gave me an anti-inflammatory shot. Didn't help, so she sent me to another doctor. He thought it was my hamstring, and put me in physical therapy. Went for a month, didn't get any better, so quit that and was sure it was a back issue.

I could play basketball without any problems, yet sitting down caused unbearable pain. Finally got an MRI, and the results were as follows:

• The intervertebral disc spaces are most narrowed and degenerated at L5-S1.
  • A bulging annulus and facet arthropathy are noted with patent neuroforamina
  • Large broad-based left-sides disc herniation with subarticular extension filling the lateral recess and extending into the neural foramina. The left S1 nerve root is displaced dorsally\

I tried the injection a few weeks ago. It didn't help - went back to the doctor and he said we can try again in a few weeks but I'll probably need surgery. I am 24 years old - I really don't want surgery. I don't know how I got hurt .. there was no car accident, weightlifting incident. I'm willing to try pretty much anything to avoid surgery. Has anyone been in a similar situation and recovered without surgery.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob

advertisement

Comments

• Hi,  I am sorry about your pain at your young age. . Three years ago I had a bone marrow stem cell procedure on my L5 disc. It was very successful and I have had continued relief from the L5 pain. Before and after the stem cell  procedure I had hyperbaric oxygen therapy to increase my stem cell production.

The only negative is the cost and insurance does not pay for stem cell therapy. I had in done in Columbia Mo.  It was 2500. 

• Long story short, had 4 previous surgeries on my L5-S1, 2005 to 2008, never got fixed, always some kind of pain, mostly leg pain, last year L5-L4 is herniated and had very bad back pain , muscle spasm, leg pain etc; I am seeing. a chiropractor and he really helped me. I do 3-4 sessions when nucleus (soft part of the disc) hurts my nerves and legs, it happens about every 5 months or so. The thing about chiropractor is that you have to find a good one, the one who knows what is he/she doing. Mine does decompression and stretching. I’m 43 years old.

• advertisement