Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.


AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all...need some advice...i had a laminectomy on L5-S1 in january...was ok for a bit, then the same pain i had before surgery started up again...after tests, injections, mris, finally met with my surgeon yesterday, and he's recommending fusion, but this one is supposedly not as terribly invasive...can't find all that much about it thru research...basically, my options are have this surgery or look forward to pain off and on forever...oh, i'd say on average, if i'm real careful and don't lift or walk too much, my pain's about a 4...sometimes spiking towards 8 tho if (god forbid!) i try to do housework or anything strenuous...(btw, i'm so sick of the pain scale)...
and of course no surgery's guaranteed to work, so even if i go thru with it i could be even worse than i am now...and there aren't too many people i know who can really give me advice from experience...huge decision time...
so...any info or advice anyone has would be very welcome...thank you in advance!


  • I am in the same boat as you. I have terrible pain on and off (mostly on). Housework is very hard for me to do too! After mopping or vacuuming, i am in terrible pain. I had a lot of tests and things done too. The doc said a discectomy won't fix my back pain and is recommending fusion (L4/L5). I am scared about fusion surgery as well. I know how you feel! Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do! I think i am going to go ahead with the fusion..

  • first off, thanx for the response...i know everyone's pain is different, i just don't know if mine, even at its worst, is worth another potentially failed surgery...sometimes i think i just need to really deal with the fact that i'll be in pain for the rest of my life...
    how long has it taken you to decide? i'm not under any time constraints, but i feel like if i don't make a decision in a few days i'll go batty...
    secondly, best of luck with the fusion (seems like you've really decided, which might be the hardest part, mentally)
    its at least something concrete...
    hopefully in a few months you'll be posting a success story!
  • advertisement
  • I am just so tired of living in pain. It hurts SOOO bad just to get up or to roll over in bed or if I have been standing too long. I just felt that I want a better quality of life and if there is a possible way for that, then I need to go for it. I really put it in God's hands and I feel this is the answer for me. Don't get me wrong, I am scared to death about surgery and recovery and all the 'what if's', but I have faith this is right, for me! Good luch to you too! :)
  • I had surgery over 4 years ago and was doing really well until last october when my hardware failed and I'm now in terrible pain again. In fact I'm worse than I was before the surgery in many ways. I can't work and have lost my job and my car, and my quality of life is pretty bad. Yesterday I met with my surgeon and I have decided to go ahead and have a fusion. I know that there are increased risks and there is no guarantee that things will improve afterwards, but in my opinion I don't have much to lose by giving it a try. If it doesn't work, at least I'll know I gave it a try. One of the things that has really made me go ahead with this is my desire to have children. If I don't have the surgery I'm not going to get any better and I may get worse. I'm only 35 years old and I want my life back so that's why I'm going ahead.

    I've seen a video of the AXLIF being done, and it's far less invasive than other types of fusion. Good luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one to make but you just need weigh things up carefully and decide if you can continue to live as you are. Take care, Spicey :)
Sign In or Register to comment.