Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to Weakness in Lower Back

Hi all,

My back condition started with me trying to move a 15-20 kg luggage.

I have been having weakness in my lower back for the last 2 months. I cannot lift objects more than 3-4 kg. If I do, my lower back starts hurting and I start having a tingling sensation in my right leg for the next 3-4 days. I saw 2 orthopedists and 1 medical sports doctor up to now. They have looked at my lumbar spine MRI and EMG results. They say all are fine.

They cannot understand what is wrong. One orthopedist told me this is an issue with my muscles and that I should never try to lift something for at least 5-6 months. He said the issue will go away slowly.

Another orthopedist told me I might have piriformis syndrome. He wanted me to do some physical therapy.

The last sports doctor I saw gave me more attention and he said I would be fine after 3 weeks of physical therapy. He said that I have very tight and short muscles and I have muscle weakness in the lumbar area.

I have never had a back condition last so long. I am 27 years old and I have been leading a relatively sedentary lifestyle. I recently started swimming to make my back stronger.

My question is: Can a muscle injury be this tough to heal? Anyone with a similar condition and what would you advice me to do? 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi cypspine

Welcome to Spine-health

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Please remember the forum rules and re-read, so you do not break the rules again by asking for advice.  Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • My back condition started with me trying to move a 15-20 kg luggage.
    Did you feel any sudden pain or tingling when lifting that luggage?
  • advertisement
  • Hi AJGormit,

I am sorry for breaking the rules by asking for advice. What I would like to ask for is if there are forum members that have had a similar experiences and their opinion as to what I should do. I understand that asking for and providing formal medical advice is against the rules.

Hi L4_L5,

To elaborate further, I did not have a sudden pain or tingling. After moving the luggage, I only had lower back pain that passed in two days. However, a day after the luggage incident, I had two plane trips on the same day and I did not sleep for a night. On that night, I was out with my friends and we were sitting uncomfortably at the beach and that's the first time that I felt kind of a sharp pain in my leg above the knee.

From that day on, for 2 months, I have not been able to heal properly. I have had a tingling sensation in my right leg, which was amplified when I sat down. Even though the tingling is minimized right now and I feel it very slightly when I sit down, I start feeling it again for a few days along with a lower back pain whenever I lift something heavier than 3-4 kg.

advertisement