Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

22 Y/O FEMALE, DDD/Disc Herniation/Mild Arthritis following Car Wreck. Spinal Fusion??

I am 22 years old, female. I was rear ended a year ago and have had chronic back pain since the accident. MRI showed a 75% or more herniated disc at L4-L5 and nerve compression, it also showed minimal fluid in the joint, and it showed a completely dehydrated disc at L5-S1 (DDD).  I have done chiropractic, massage therapy, medications, Epidural steroid injections, Facet Injections, physical therapy, and had a lumbar decompression (May 2017, for the herniation/nerve compression at L4-L5). I just had a repeat MRI because much of my pain has come back and even intensified, the only thing different is that I don't have the numbness like I did prior to the decompression of my nerves and repair of the herniation. It seems like my only other treatments and options I have not tried are specifically pain management treatments like nerve oblations and getting a discogram to confirm the source of the pain, and a spinal fusion. At my age, my surgeon and I do not want to perform that surgery as I am not a candidate for the minimally invasive procedure, however... I am currently planning a wedding, trying to graduate college, and begin my career and eventually a family. I am unable to take it easy or not work, and I am tired of the chronic pain and feeling like I'm 90. It is not fair to me, my family, or my fiancé and I am so ready to get back to my life. So I am looking for suggestions and tips and just stories here to help me understand what may help me, why to do or not do the fusion, and if you are in Oklahoma I would gladly take recommendations for other surgeons to visit with! 

advertisement