Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Automotive technician and single level acdf

Hello all, new to this site. Well my story is as follows. 47yr. Male married 4 kids smoker. I have been in a physical occupation since I was 12. (Yes twelve lol) started out putting new snapper mowers together at a dealership. Since then I have done it all from masonry family business growing up, commercial glazer and automotive technician. I am currently a automotive technician at a dealership. I have had four surgeries (lumber laminectomy, left eye, urethroplasty and gallbladder). Now I have a herniated disc c-6 and need a acdf. After laminectomy around 10 years ago back has never been the same. What are the odds ki will be able to return to working on cars with all the lifting, twisting,bending and basic contortionism to get under dash boards and such?

advertisement

Comments

• hi eled47

welcome to spine-health

sounds like your first half century has been as busy as mine.  i once told my surgeon, my stocky man-like arms were too strong for my back!  i overdid my first half century unfortunately.

there are no medical professional on this site, so your questions about work after fusion needs to be directed at your surgeon or the medical team.  you may find your limitations will have to stay in place until full fusion is achieved with such a manual job. speak to your team for their advice on the surgery you are receiving and based on your previous surgery.

i have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  there is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

welcome to spine health

aj 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017