Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Op or not

New to this but not the pain that goes with it.. I’m 49 mother of 4.. suffered sciatica and back pain with all pregnancies but since my 6yo was born I’ve had lower back pain which is now permanent.. day and night, standing, sitting.. only slight relief is floating in a deep hot bath. I have tried the Naproxen, Cocodamol, Tramadol, Amytriptilne etc but makes me feel weird so just coping day to day. I’m tired of coping.. can’t ride (have 2 Horses) run or cycle anymore... MRI shows herniation L3/4 but Consultant suspects cauda equina damage from aggressive sports Physio (pins and needles, loss of bladder/bowel) totally fed up and after any advice thanks 

advertisement

Comments

• hi musicmags

welcome to spine-health

it can be extremely hard to lose the ability to do your interests and things you love and have to adapt to a new way of living.  i have managed to reach an acceptance of limitation, but i am always looking for new interests in areas that i can manage now.  i still miss the things i used to do, but looked back with fond memories and appreciation that i was at least able to do those things at some point in my life.  this takes times and adjustment and for me after lots of frustration.  

you mention your mri results but not your consultants course of action?

i have found spine-health website a great source of support, information and a brilliant place to share experiences.  spine issues are invisible to others around you and sometimes to connect with people that really know what you are going through makes a huge difference to the day i have found.

i have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  there is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

welcome to spine health

aj 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704

Unless it is a matter of life or death, always NOT  o:) ! What is bothering you the most, sciatica or low back pain? 

• advertisement
  • MonikokiMonikoki Northampton.UKPosts: 71

Try and take Amytriptiline just at the night time,maby you can at least rest better.

• ITs the combination of constant pain with pins and needles in feet and hands and shooting pains from my left butt cheek to the floor. I tried gabapentin but that didn’t help. I’m having MRIs every 6 weeks atm but no course of action yet decided as last time consultant said he suspected cauda equina damage is irreversible. 

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704

I wonder if you first eliminate the pain from sciatica will the other symptoms dissipate? When my sciatica was at its peak it was a constant pain. No relief. It sounds to me like they are having you do unnecessary MRIs, which can be dangerous in itself. It sucks that you have to continue to wait  :'(

• advertisement
advertisement