Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

insurance Coverage for procedureappeals option

if insurance medical guidelines indicate they won’t cover artificial disc, has anyone out there had luck with an appeal, or ability to have procedure w/o insurance coverage some other way? 

advertisement

Comments

  • hi bethdori

    welcome to spine-health

    maybe your medical team would be able to advise on this as they may have had experience at assisting a patient with an appeal of this nature.

    i have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  there is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

    welcome to spine health


    aj 


    AJGormit

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 332
    edited 01/23/2018 - 2:48 AM

    Hi bethdori.  I am pending 3 level ALIF (L3-S1) with interbody cages and possible additional PLIF fusion with rods/screws if the ALIF isn't 100% successful at the time of procedure, which was denied by insurance after the first submittal in November 2017.

    Aj has given me the same advice about letting your experienced medical team advise as to the best path forward with an appeal, as I had insurance deny the first submitted overall procedure due to a technicality in the Radiologist reading of the MRI.  The medical team successfully appealed as I found out today, but now my frustrating insurance company denied a second part of the procedure, the interbody cage graft material type as being "experimental and having no clinical evidence of effectiveness over other standard implants."  My research to confirm this is difficult to find, but I know the graft material is the 'gold standard' of bone graft...why would one want anything less?  I'm waiting for the medical team to advise, but it feels like insurance is being cheap, approving knock off generic Pep Boys parts to fix a car when I really need the best possible GM parts to resolve my cadillac part issue.

    I too wonder if there are other options for payment beyond health care - out of pocket or supplemental or other insurance, but obtaining it for pre-existing conditions is a challenge.  Private medical options are just not affordable for me.  I've heard of people going to pay completely out of pocket for tests in various parts of SoCal where I live but this sounds sketchy and wouldn't think this would be an option for surgery (except to move to Norway and become a legalized citizen :) ).

    I know that when i went planned to do the steroid injections last year following my setback and nerve damage, the MRI to confirm diagnosis to try all things before surgery like injections was originally denied by insurance and I had to wait and go through 6 weeks of painful PT before I could even get MRI approval to confirm the injections would help.  Then secondly, of the three types of planned injections, the second was a type of dual injection at the L3 level due to dual pinched nerves from disc bulges, and was again denied by insurance.  My medical team worked through that - taking time to resolve was frustrating to deal with pain when there was a hopeful treatment...but it ended up that injections marginally helped and here I am waiting for the surgery approval...again, dealing with more pain that should be necessary and having zero quality of life for months, seemingly unnecessarily.  Couldn't be more frustrated with my insurance coverage, PPO which I pay through the nose for and slow progress.

    I pray we both fair better with the appeal process and get to where we want to be like everyone on this site, living a quality of life pain free, or at least much better off pain-wise than we are now.

    Joel

    L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

    L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.