Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am desperate!

I have had two L4/L5 microdiscectomies in as many months. The first on 1st December 2017 and a “redo” just a week ago after a reherniation on 7th Jan. 

My recovery from the first discectomy was good with easy to manage paIn and immediate relief from symptoms - predominantly numbness, weakness in leg and pins & needles.

My recovery from the second surgery is a very different story - after my disc reherniated I was admitted to hospital to manage the pain as it was so bad and also developed dropfoot.

A week post surgery and I am really struggling to understand what is normal and what’s not. I still have numbness in my foot (middle toes mainly), chronic pain in my ankle (like a sprain) and severe pain in my hip & buttock with pins & needles/sciatic pain running through my leg. All on the right side. My leg also feels very weak.

I have been mobile and walking as suggested, I alternate between that, standing and lying as sitting is uncomfortable.  But it’s proving difficult as any movement makes all of it worse after 5-10 mins of sitting/standing.

I have finished all meds prescribed on discharge and am wondering if this level and amount of pain is normal?? Any suggestions for dealing with the pain and how I can mobilise better as not mobilising is a double edged sword.

I’m wishing I’d never had the first surgery! 

Thanks in advance 

advertisement

Comments

• You should call your surgeon on Monday and ask what to do. Might need referral to pain management.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,478

hello kerryd
    welcome to spine-health.

the best thing you can do is call your surgeon and discuss all of this with him. you need to get to the bottom of these issues, what is causing this and then treat it.

please click on the welcome link below as well as the tutorial for information on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

take care and please keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Thanks people. Thought I’d update you. 

I ended up in the emergency room last Sunday as it got so unbearable I was unable to stand without crying. I was admitted into hospital and after four days under the care of the pain team I am going home today. 

One of the drugs I was taking (Palexia SR) can apparently increase pain levels and basically turn them into a big ball of nerve pain! 

So no, it wasn’t normal and there were a couple of lessons for me. 1) don’t be a hero, if you think something’s not right - get it checked and 2) pain doctors are wonderful people.

Now onwards and upwards with the recovery from the op