Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain management Contract

Greetings - Found this form and thought I would ask question. Been on Opiates for 11 years and signed a Pain Contract. My question is if I never broke contract, but they still discharged me. I went in to see what happened and here is what took place.

2 weeks ago I was asked if I was able to use Marijuana, I did not know how this office viewed it. Well since I did not know I went in and asked if that was allowed or not. Here is where I am having a problem. They came back and told me that it Would break contract. I said OK and left. I thought I did the right thing by asking. Well I received a letter saying that I was dropped and no longer a patient.

I did not use Marijuana, but they said because I asked was a good enough reason to void my contact. They did this 1 week before Meds run out.

Is this something that is right? I find this really unfair! I thought I was doing the right thing by asking.

I do not know what to do now. Please advise

Jeff

advertisement

Comments

• Jeff,

Asking a question is in no way a violation of your contract. I would demand to have a urine test to prove you have no marijuana in your system. If you have the money or you have a lawyer as a friend, I’d contact them and begin looking into a lawsuit. 

Dick

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Re-read your contract. If your contract mentions Schedule I drugs then it’s to be implied that’s a no-no. 

Something legal at a state level does not make it legal at a federal level.

Just remember in the future: curiosity killed the cat. 

Even behavior or speech deemed suspect can get you dismissed.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,349

hi maxjasper!
    welcome to spine-health

read your contract. they must have had a reason knowing they cannot break their own contract. but by asking you threw up "a red flag".

please click on the welcome link below and tutorial for more information.
    welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517

I would think a better clarification of the contract, the rules and what constitutes a violation needs to be outlined.   

I could understand with a new patient and they asked the same question, that would raise a flag for the doctor's office, but for a long time patient, I would think that was just a hypothetical question.  I would ask them why Asking such a question got me discharged?

I guess I see it almost as if you asked your doctor With these medications, will I be able to have a glass of wine?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I guess I see it almost as if you asked your doctor With these medications, will I be able to have a glass of wine?
    Wine (alcohol) is not a Schedule I drug. 
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517

L4_L5 said:

Wine (alcohol) is not a Schedule I drug. 

In case you didnt realize, I was being a bit factitious when I said that.   The purpose was what a patient can say or not say while they are in a pain management contract.     Regardless if an item is Schedule I or not on the list, its the receiving end of the pain management doctors that matter.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • My contract doesn't allow any alcohol to be in my system either.  No issue with me because alcohol causes an immediate migraine for me and a trip to the ER so I never drink.  That isn't standard on pain contracts?

Cindy

• nicky74nicky74 New York,NY Posts: 76

Well,with my pm doctor while all the dos and don'ts (including alcohol) are written in the contract the only thing he verbally reminds every one is NO ALCOHOL!

• peanut006peanut006 MichiganPosts: 147

Hi @maxjasper! So sorry you're going thru this. I can't imagine being discharged for a question! But out of curiosity, are you in a legal state? Either medical and/or recreational?  If you're not, that could be the only justifiable reason I think I could see them discharging you for. If you're in a state where neither is legal, you asking about an illegal substance (even mmj) could be seen as no different than asking how they felt about you using some heroin... (I'm by no means saying is actually the same but hopefully you understand where I'm coming from???)

• Thanks for you thoughts, I am in Florida and Medical Marijuana is legal. The whole thing came about because my son asked if it was an option. My son was giving it to my Step-Daughter because she was dying from cancer. Anyway he thought it would be an option.

After I asked and they said no I figured that was it. I did object and asked why that would be grounds for discharge? I actually thought I did the right thing.

I am out of Meds as of tomorrow and no way to get more in a timely fashion if at all. I been on 60mg MS Cotin every 8 hours as well as 15ms Oxycodone every 8 hours.

I am worried and with everything else I am getting panic attacks now.

I do not know what to do?

advertisement