Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medronic Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial

I am on my last day of my Medronic Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial and have to make a decision if I want to have it permanently implanted.  Struggling with decision as I have read so many negative reviews.  I think it may be helping me some but that is questionable as I only have stimulation on the left side of my body.  When I ask the Medronic rep about it she never gives me an answer just acts like it is normal.  I am a risk taker, so I want to give it a try but the complications and failed results so many post are unsettling as I do not want to make my situation worse.  My surgeon is reassuring, places stimulators all the time and has been doing it for 18 years with no known malpractice lawsuits.  I am having the newest product implanted and am hoping the outcome over the years have improved.  I would like to hear about the good, bad and ugly things that have happened to others in my situation.  Thank you for your thoughts.

advertisement

Comments

• @RitaReed I had two trials prior to implantation of my original permanent unit. During the first trial both leads migrated after only one day so I got very little info out of the trial. During the second trial one lead migrated after the first day and I completed the trial with stimulation only on one side. Based on the somewhat limited information I got out of the two trials I made the decision to move forward with the permanent implant and have always been glad that I did.

The leads are anchored much more securely during the permanent implant, so are far less likely to migrate than during the trial. Having a very experienced doctor with a good track record of success perform the surgery should give you some additional piece of mind. I now have the newest Medtronic product (Intellis), which gives me the same pain relief as my original unit, but with a smaller battery and a better remote control.

• Hi RitaReed

Welcome to Spine-health

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ 

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 551

Just wondering if a spinal cord stimulator helps with muscle tightness,  does it help with tightness in the diaphragm area. Has anyone had issues with the diaphragm and back muscles.