Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post op must haves?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, :H

So I read the thread about getting satin sheets....going to Overstock.com to look for some on another screen. I was wondering if there are any other post op must haves I should start collecting now. I only have about 3 weeks before my PLIF at L5-S1. My NS said that they will give me anything I need to dress, shower, etc......but there are always those things that make our lives a little easier (satin sheets) that the NS may not provide us with.

I look forward to hearing all your input!!

Michelle
advertisement

Comments

• HI Michelle,

I sent you a PM. :)))
  • One idea in addition to the link paul gave you, is I always stock pile some meals in the freezer prior to surgery. And stock the fridge with easy foods to pull out and eat.

Of course if you could choose anything you want post op as a must-have, I'd choose a chef and a maid! :))(

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • advertisement
  • ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVES:

A walker
    A pick up stick
    An elavated toilet seat
    Lots of pillows
    A soaker pad like the hospitals use (to put under you to help someone help you turn over in bed)
    A notepad to write down when you took your meds and when to take them again.
    Lots of help around the house.

These are ABSOLUTES!!! :D

Good Luck on your surgery,
    Christina :)

• you cant forget the supportive partner, mum or dad. they make the world of difference ;-)
  • For the seat on the ride home.....

is that on that list?

I know I sound like a broken record but my bag saved me! lol.
  • advertisement
  • Since I can never keep a pen around, I would send myself a text message saying when I took my meds. For some reason, I never loose my phone. This worked for me best.
  • get a few straps to tie around your neck with things like mobile phone, and a little pouch with meds.
    These are essential to have on you at all times.
    I would also recommend a long handles pair of tongs like the ones for the barbeque. SOunds silly but I recokon I used to drop my long handled reacher 50 times a day and then sed the tongs to pick them up. LOL
    Tongs also work well for getting washing out of the machine without having to bend over to reach.

I didn't have a walker once I left hospital, so would think twice about getting that unless you need it.

With the satin sheets, make sure you put a stip of nonsatin fabric around the edges as you dont want to go for a slip off the side of the bed.

I did a chart for meds so I could tick them all off as I took them. Just did a blank chart and filled it in when the hospital gave me the list of what and when.
    Also a plastic container to keep all the meds together (except the emergency ones around your neck.)and put a pen in it.

Get some protien shakes or bars in case you dont feel like eating. You still need to keep your nutrition up and these are easy to store.

Blessings Sara
  • is the list diff. for neck surgery? just wondering if i will need a raised toilet seat
  • is the list diff. for neck surgery? just wondering if i will need a raised toilet seat
  • I really didnt need to go out and buy anything. Just keep foods around that are semi soft as you might have a hard time swallowing for a lil while

CHristina :)
advertisement