Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 fusion

I have been around the block for 3 years now, seeing many different doctors. I have tried all the conventional methods without any success. Just recently I was told that L5/S1 was badly degenerated. All my discs above are actually in excellent shape. A spinal fusion was recommended. I think this is a no-brainer. If a discography confirms pain and I am not likely to have further disc problems later (due to the good health of the others), it appears as if I should do it. 

advertisement

Comments

• I just had a fusion last Wednesday. My only regret was waiting so long. Like you I had one bad segment (L5/S1), but mine was due to an injury. I have no back pain now and am just healing and recovering from the surgery pain. Let me know if you have questions. I walked 3 miles today. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,047

Hi sixer82
    Welcome to Spine-Health

If you are comfortable with your surgeon and your decision, just keep an open mind and positive attitude. When you know your surgery date, go to the right of the page to Surgery Buddies, click on that, go to the left and pick your month. Make a discussion about yourself and surgery. There you will find other members waiting on surgery or are in recovery, giving one another advice and support. Go into Jan. Buddies and read some of the stories.

Please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial to help you get started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • It’s such a hard decision. I am nearly 100% functional but have this deep ache and obnoxious burning ALL the time (worst when sitting). I am going to get a second opinion, maybe a third. He gave me good odds. He was talking like 80% with a positive discogram. And I won’t have much for limited motion as it’s only the L5/S1 level...right?