Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spinal stenosis, age, and time affected

Does any member know whether or not spinal stenosis gets worse with age or worse the longer that you have had it since being diagnosed? I can confidently say that mine has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in the early 90s and mine has gotten exponentially worse as I have gotten older. I am now 52 years old and it is so debilitating I can only stand for 5 or 10 minutes without being severely run down from the pain. I also have severe neurological pain in all my limbs which is not getting better from taking Gabapentin or Lyrica.

Thank you for your input.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472

KataKen

For me, it has gotten worse. I was diagnosed with it over 10 yrs. ago but it was in one area and not bad. Now it is cervical to lumbar. I take Neurotin but refuse to take Lyrica.
    Along with everything else that is wrong in spine I finally opted for a morphine pain pump.

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • A week has passed since injections in both my SI joints and I have about an 80% reduction in pain in the joints. I am also experiencing less pain associated with the lower back are.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472

KataKEN

That is great to hear!! You are one of the few lucky ones that the injections have helped you. They never did for me until I had a caudal block done. And that lasted about 3 mos. and I need to schedule another one. They go in a tiny hole at the base of your spine and when they inject the meds they call it a shot gun effect. It sprays everywhere touching all of the nerves. I was asleep, of course, and when it was over, got up and came home.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi there,

Glad to hear your injections helped with the pain!  Sometimes it's a roll of the dice as to if they help or not.  Unfortunately, as time goes on, our bodies don't cope well with "issues". 

Are you seeing a Pain Management Doctor?  Since Lyrica and Gaba isn't working for nerve pain, they may try you on Cymbalta, Topamax or another similar medication.  Usually, Pain Management doctors try off label uses for some meds because they have a side benefit of pain reduction. 

Try not to let the pain get you down!  This forum site has been extremely helpful for many people who were at the end of their rope dealing with pain.  There are a lot of people on this site that can relate to what you're feeling.  Keep your head up!

Keith  

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Update on the injections.... It must have been a few good couple of days because the SI joints are back to the same pain and now I have some "new" numbness in the front of my left quad that I never really had. The lower back pain is still not controlled with the Nevro SCS even though I am working through the programming as guided from their staff. Thanks for all of your kind words folks. Ken.

• advertisement
  • I am in the beginning stages of the surgery part of my journey at age 61 and I have been getting worse and worse.  PT no longer works, injections never did.  I have such a limited quality of life I have no choice anymore than surgery.  I know even that may not work.  But yes, the older I got, the worse it got despite my efforts.

• My stenosis got worse the older I got. Injections didn't work for me. Its so debilitating now. Can't sit walk or stand for very long Having surgery on Thursday.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584

My personal experience with Spinal stenosis, Lumbar or cervical, is that it will get worse over time if left untreated.

In 2009, I had very mild lumbar spinal stenosis.  In 2013, the MRI indicated that I had moderate lumbar spinal stenosis and by 2016 with a new MRI and I had trouble walking, it became very severe lumbar spinal stenosis and I had surgery almost the week after the MRI was done.

During this time frame, I had multiple other surgeries, Complete shoulder and hip joint replacements, so I was in and out of physical and aqua therapy during that time frame.  That 'should' have helped with the stenosis, but it did not

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement