Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Loose Screws & Partial Fusion

Hi all-I haven't been on here in a long time. I recently met with a neurosurgeon to review my recent CT. I have a PLIF of L5-S1 in 11/2015, followed by a revision and fusion of L4-L5 in 6/2016. I learned I am only partially fused, and my screws are loose. My S1 screws are also too long, extending  beyond the disc.

The surgeon said he wouldn't be able to tell if I have a failed fusion until he went in there. Based upon my severe continuing pain, and the fact that I did feel better for a while after surgery 2, he thinks the screws are causing pain and issues. He recommends removing the rods and screws, taking bone from my iliac crest and packing it around the L5-S1 (my interbody is partially incorporated), and also packing more bone at the L4-L5 level. Alternatively, he could just take the hardware out, but he's recommending another fusion because I will continue to get more scar tissue. He said this would be the best chance for a successful fusion.

Have other people had loose screws, and if so, what did your surgeon do? 

Another surgeon I saw said that the screws won't get any looser because I am fused. I am so confused and don't know what to do...a third surgery wouldn't be fun - but if it would improve my quality of life even 50% I'd do it. Thanks for any input!

advertisement

Comments

• Hi duckgirl

I remember your name from 2015, so welcome back.

So sorry you have having such problems and I hope you can find the support you need to get a firm decision on what is happening and what treatment you need.  Some people get three opinions but not sure if this is something you want to do.

The Surgery Buddies group are quite active and you may find somebody on one of those that has had (or is having) revised surgery. 

Take care

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thanks so much, AJ. I appreciate your advice & kind words. I'm sorry to see you had another surgery last summer. I hope your recovery is going well.

• advertisement