Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I feel like I'm going crazy!

I am 24 years old back in 2014 I had a microdiscectomy to remove part of my ruptured L5 S1 disc, I had severe sciatica down my left leg all the way to my ankle and pain in my lower back. I got through surgery and physical therapy  just fine. Of course some of the lower back pain remained but It was tolerable.

Now 4 years later I have been on and off seeing doctors about my back because I am having more lower back pain I cannot sit nor can I stand for long periods of time. I just recently started having acute sciatica down my left leg again and sometimes I feel it go down my right side. I have been so reluctant to see any kind of doctors because they automatically assume I am pill searching which isn't the case for me. Just this past month I have had another MRI and the results came back that I have degeneration noticeable in my L5 S1 area where I had surgery and that I have a disc bulge in my L4 disc, I am assuming right above my L5 S1. Also I have granulation tissue that is encasing my nerve root in that area where I had surgery. I am just waiting for my appointment to see a Nuerosurgeon.

I just want to know if anyone else feels how I do... Sometimes I think like the pain I have doesn't deserve to be treated or I should just suck it up, but I am only working 4 hours a day at my work because I refuse to take on anymore because it puts me in too much pain. And sometimes I feel stupid even going to doctors for my back pain, I am so demoralized by the whole thing I just want to give up. I am going through pt now just to stretch out my hips and legs and core strengthening, but I feel it's useless because if I started to work more I will be in pain. And I am searching for a new job where I do not have to do so much labor intensive things. But quitting is not an option for me, I want to live on my own and actually be able to work full time. I have no clue what the Nuerosurgeon is going to say I feel like my situation doesn't compare to other people. Sometimes I think that the pain is all in my head and that maybe I am a sissy because refuse to do things I used to because of things causing me pain.

Maybe someone has been through the same thing but thanks to anyone who replies. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,293

Hello Jzrw7293
    Welcome to Spine-Health

No, you are not going crazy and please do not give up. There are a lot of members that have had to give up a lot because of the pain, I for one. Like my neurosurgeon told me, "if it hurts don't do it", that does not make you a sissy. 
    When you see the neurosurgeon make sure you ask a lot of questions  Below is a sample, it might help you out.

40 questions to ask your surgeon

Please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial for more information.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Jzrw7293

You're certainly not alone in feeling alienated because of nerve pain and disk issues. I am 26 and SO tired of constand pain and unpredictable currents of nerve electricity localizing in my buttocks, shooting down my right leg, and looping around my foot. People look at me like I'm crazy because I can walk perfectly fine but when I sit down or stub my toe my entire right leg sizes up for about 4 seconds. It's literally unnerving. I haven't done any surgery, but I certainly can empathize with you about how nebulous disk and nerve pain can be, while constantly being misdiagnosed or overlooked as pill-seeking hypochondriasis. Sometimes I refuse my girlfriend and mother when they plead with me to go to the doctor because I know exactly what they're going to say, "Here are some steroids and muscle relaxers, just take it easy for a week or so...." I've been in chronic pain for 6 months now taking it easy from a previous lifestyle of skiing, biking, marathons, and playing hockey every week. It takes a serious toll on someone's mental health to deliberately confine themselves to a lifestyle suited for someone 50 years older than themselves.  Hang in there. 

-Cody

• advertisement
  • So I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and neurogenic-claudication. I am being sent to a physical medicine rehab doctor. I am finally getting answers to what is wrong with me and i am so happy now that I can say there is something wrong and it all isn't in my head.

And Cody if you manage to see this just hang in there keep pushing to get help. It's taken me months and years to get up the courage to get help. And if all your doctors are not taking you seriously and keep labeling you a pill seeker try and research to find new doctors. Nobody should have to live in pain like this and with us being so young we shouldn't be treated any different than older folks. Hang in there man I hope you get the help you need. 

• I read your post and I can feel your pain. I recently hurt my back and I can only imagine what your feeling. Hang in there. Are you able taking pain meds. My doc gave me ibuprofen! I haven’t been using because of the side effects it has on me. Have you gone to therapy? 

advertisement