Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Husband having L4/5 laminectomy and fusion Tuesday- tips/support?

Hello All,

I hope it is okay that I am posting here. I am not a spinal patient but my husband is undergoing surgery Tuesday due to severe, chronic pain caused by stenosis and degenerative disease. He also has a herniated disk. He had a diskectomy in 2000, about a year before we met. 

I admit I am really scared. I want to provide the best support for him possible and I feel like I really don’t know what to expect while he is in the hospital. He is having surgery in a major teaching hospital and will be staying 2-3 nights. He is afraid to be alone overnight because of an experience he had after his previous surgery where he was calling for a nurse and nobody came. He’s usually very relaxed about medical procedures so his concern about this surgery has my anxiety going through the roof, but I am trying to keep this to myself so he doesn’t worry about me in this time of need for him. I don’t feel like the communication from the hospital has been great, but we both trust his surgeon. I guess I just am wondering what to expect post surgery and what tips you would have for me as a caregiver. I do not know anyone else who has had spinal surgery or a surgery that has required more than a one night stay so I guess I am just looking for information. Did you have your family with you overnight after surgery? We live over an hour away so I have also rented a hotel room in case he can’t get a private room or they don’t allow visitors overnight (the hospital said it depends on the floor).  Is there anything I should do in particular to help his recovery? 

Thank you for any and all information you can provide. After seeing what my husband has gone through over the past months, I hope sincerely that you are all on your own paths to relief.   

Lindsey 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,071

Hello Lindsey
    Welcome to Spine-Health

The best thing you can do for him is be with him at all times. Keep a notepad with you to write down the meds they have him on and when they are due next. Ask questions when the nurses come in. Call the hospital and ask if you will be able to stay with him.
    We always take boxes of cookies and chocolate candy to leave in the room for the nurses. Tell them whenever they come in to help their selves. It goes a long way in how often they come back!
    Below is a list of questions that might help you.
    40 questions to ask your surgeon

Post Op Must Haves 

Also, please join February Surgery Buddies. To the right, click on Surgery Buddies, on the left click on Feb., introduce yourself. This is where members go that are waiting for surgery and recovering. Daily conversations and support and advice is overwhelming.

Please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial for more information.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Hope to see you in Buddies!!

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History