Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

possible 3rd cervical surgery

I will try to be as brief as possible but here is my story.  About 18 years ago (28 yrs old) I started losing strength and becoming clumsy with left arm and left leg.  After being shuffled around to different dr's, and a whole bunch of tests, a neurosurgen discovered a herniated disc in neck.  Disc was pressing on spinal cord so long my nerve damage was permamnent.  !0 years later disc 1 level up stars bulging and pain down left arm.  Surgery and all is well.  8 years later and now age 46 another disc herniated and pain down right arm.  My question is should i look into the artificial discs which from what I understand still give some motion and flexibility.  I am sure that these fusions just keep putting more pressure and other discs and I would rather not have my entire neck fussed.  All feedback is appreciated.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,419

Hi ryan j
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Do some research on artificial discs. Use the search box at the top of the page. Get all of your research together and go see your doctor. Is he qualified to do disc replacement, what type of surgery would it be and why. 
    Most people do not realize they can request what to put in your body surgically.

While you are waiting on other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial for more information.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Just had one year checkup from acdf c5-c6. Everything is well. However, my surgeon left and so my find checkup was with a new surgeon. It was much easier tho tally with this person than the original surgeon. 

I wanted to know if I should've had artificial disc instead of fusion. She said that it was a tough call but my age, 51, is right on the border.

The reason I asked about the artificial disc is that earlier I asked if may have any problems down the road. She didn't hesitate one second and said yes. It may be 5years, 10, or 17 years but since I've had one fusion they usually lead to more. 

I didn't know enough about artificial discs when I had my surgery. I would at least investigate your options.

• advertisement