Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5 S1 Microdiscectomy post op.

Hi folks, I'm a 51 yr old male and I had surgery 5 days ago to trim a severely bulging disc which was caused by heavy lifting last April. I felt that every day I was improving, walking around the house slowly until last night my back went into severe spasm accompanied with level 9 pain all the way down my right leg. I am taking 2mg of hydromorphone every 4 hrs along with 600mg of gabepentin every 8 hrs. Today all I can do is lie flat on my back with an icepack on the wound. Its worrying me that the pain got so severe so suddenly, but I am assuming that its all part of the recovery process? I would welcome any comments from others in a similar situation. Cheers & regards

advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 451

I had a discectomy at same level a few years ago.  My recovery was decent up until a few months post-surgery, but your sudden new pain at this stage of the game seems to be enough to warrant a call into your surgeon.  Be sure to ask about ice pack usage on the wound, if it's acceptable at this stage.  Wishing you a successful recovery!

• You've described my experience to a T albeit my spasms started 6 weeks post op and brought on by an over zealous physio pushing the exercises too hard. Whilst I didn't have leg pain, I had a corset of pain in my lower back. Felt like someone had kicked me very hard from kidney to kidney. Spasms were so painful and then you loose confidence which begins a spiral downhill.  I got 're scanned and all was well. They then though maybe an infection had took hold but fortunately that was rulled out .  It's been a long 2 months plus, but I'm alot better now but not as good as I was for the 1st six weeks.  I'd suggest a 're scan for your own peace of mind then you'll know which direction to take.  If you have 're herniated, at least you'll know.  If not, take it easy but try to walk arou d   indoors is easier than outdoors as the pavement can make walking a challenge when you lack confidence.   Darn potholes are such an obstacle. 

Good luck.  Keep us posted   

• advertisement
  • Hi and thanks for your feedback. Its very comforting sharing experiences with others in similar situations. I spent all day resting with intermittent ice pack usage. It definitely helped soothe the pain! Managed to sleep like a log last night, and today the awful pain has gone from my right leg. I spoke with my surgeon earlier today and he suggested that I may have been overdoing things a bit. I am seeing him for follow up in 6 weeks. Then he shall assess me and talk about physio options. I've managed 6 very slow laps of the house today and the pain is under control. Cheers and good luck to all!