Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Revision Surgery - Second opinion?

Hi all,

I have had continuing severe pain and issues following my L4-S1 fusion and revision (11/2015 and 6/2016). The second surgeon lost his medical license, so I went to a neurologist to review my case. He told me that my top screws are loose, the bottom screws are way too long, and I am only partially fused. He wants to do a revision - removing everything except ancage as it's already incorporated into the bone. I also saw an orthopedic surgeon that took over the patients of my former surgeon. She agrees with the neuro - but says I am fused 'enough', the screws won't get any looser, and I don't need another operation.

To those who have had one or more revision surgeries - did you get multiple opinions?  In my gut, I feel like I need another operation. I had the same feeling after my first botched surgery. 

Any thoughts re second opinion (3rd really)? Has anyone else been diagnosed with a partial fusion? The neuro said he bets I have pseudoarthrosis but he wouldn't know for sure  until he opens me up.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,393

Would another opinion give you peace of mind? If this one tells you that you don't need surgery but your gut feeling says you do, then what? I would go back and ask her to explain "fused enough" and how does she know the screws won't get any looser.
    Good luck with this decision.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks Sandra. I should add the surgeon who told me surgery isn't necessary is young and not that experienced, compared to other surgeons.

• advertisement