Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

No appetite after surgery

I have read some postings about people not having an appetite after back surgery. I've had 2 back surgeries the last one was 7 months ago. I still do not have an appetite I lost 50lbs in 2 months and 20 more over 5 more months. I'm also having a bowel problems  I go up to 15 times  a day .I don't understand this because I only eat once a day and I have to force myself to do that. When I eat it's not much. The doctors tell me all the tests are good but how can that be. I've even had yet another colonoscopy. Does anyone have any answers.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,051

Hi paulsvec1
    Welcome to Spine-Health

It could be a number of things. In my case, when I'm in a lot of pain I don't eat. All of the meds I was on previously caused a huge ulcer and I still deal with that. I have had to balance out my diet to try to eat healthy and gain weight.
    If the doctors are saying all is good, look at what you are eating and not eating. I am supposed to eat a little several times a day but usually just eat at night.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Take care and please keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Paul:

I can understand your concern about continued weight loss and chronic bowel problems- does not sound like a minor issue.

If your lack of eating is due to pain (as Sandra says in above post), that could be something to address and experiment with.

Otherwise...what do the doctors suggest you do?  Have you considered seeing a nutritionist?

Keep us posted!

• advertisement
  • What level of your spine did you have surgery on?  I ask this because in the L3 region are nerves that have a lot to do with bowel function.  Anyone who has had a bowel issue can attest that food is the last thing on your mind when things are unsettled in the system.  Sometimes nerves can get really "angry" if they have been affected or touched.  If I were in your shoes, I would ask during the next appointment if a nerve could be causing your bowel problem.  Only your surgeon can really say for sure.

Best of luck!  I hope you start feeling better soon!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • EMS Guy: That's interesting to information- did not know that.

advertisement