Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L1-S1 Herniation Experience Needed

Had 2 level microdiscectomy L4 & L5 In 2007. In recent years I’ve had periodic problems with shooting left leg pains. About 8 days ago after moving some bins, I started getting stabbing pain in left buttock. The  pain radiated from my lower back into the buttock, then around down front side of thigh. Within 3 days it moved down to ankle. It feels like a knife cutting down to bone pain. My only relief is lying down straight. Went to ER because I couldn’t stand the pain. They gave me an MRI & then a CT scan. The L5-S1 graduated from moderate dehydration/mild protrusion/no significant canal comprise (last MRI in 2016) to now being: 

L5-S1: Marked disc space narrowing with left paracentral disc herniation and osteophytic spurring resulting in severe left neural canal stenosis.

I am terrified of having another surgery since my cervical fusion in 2013. Has anyone else here had a similar diagnosis? What treatment options did you have?

advertisement

Comments

• tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 44
    edited 03/15/2018 - 5:51 PM

A Micro D does not have a good outcome unless the disc herniation is larger than 8mm.  I had a Micro D and it was a complete waste of time.  So what you need to do is try to decompress the disc and hope it can stop or get better to take the pressure off the nerve.  You can look into the many ways to do non surgical spinal decompression.  (Inversion, traction, Cox therapy, NuBax Trio, Sit and Decompress, etc)  Good luck

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,476

Bbnpcfl

Just remember, not everyone is the same with pain, pain tolerance and what works best for you.
    Other options are available but you need to discuss them with your doctor first.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • tjlazer

I appreciate you sharing your experience. You gave me some good suggestions. I plan on writing those down to ask my doctor on Monday. 

memerainbolt

Thank you for your words. I agree 100%. Certainly helps to hear someone else say what I’ve felt. Confirmation is priceless to someone in doubt.

• Met with Physiatrist and Neurosurgeon today. I’ll be having a microdiscectomy to resolve my issues. Thanks for your advice and support. Looking forward to feeling better!

advertisement