Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long to continue daily walking

Hi

Can anyone advise how long I should continue with the daily walking routine post  discectomy?  

I was walking religiously twice per day.  I had surgery mid October. I've become less structured with the walking but do have lower back ache at nights. Wondered what people experiences have been of continuing walking as a form of rehab exercise post surgery  

advertisement

Comments

• I had lumbar fusion in mid-December, and have been walking pretty much daily since the surgery.  

For me, walking is great, because it's harder for me to "overdue" it.  I found myself "pushing it" on the treadmill, so walking outside is best (weather permitting). Early on, I would get exhausted pretty quickly, now I walk for a few miles, flat and hills. I would walk longer, but I have foot issues.

It seems to me unless you have screaming nerve pain, walking appears to be a great long-term form of exercise. 

I also practice contracting my core while walking.

What does your surgeon recommend for you?

• Hi Steffie and any thanks for your response. 

Yes walking was highly recommended  and like you, I walked 2 or 3 times per day religiously.  I'm now 4.5 months post surgery and my question is how long do people continue the walking for?  As you mention, it's a great exercise and therefore people may just continue because they enjoy the exercise but I'm wondering how long they were advised to continue for?  Pleased your recovering well  

Regards.  

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

Walking is about the best exercise for almost anyone.   As long as the terrain is pretty level, walking 2-5 miles a day 3 or 4 times a week should be ok.    Even after all the years past (20-30 years) with my lumbar and cervical surgeries, walking is still recommended.

I am just recovering from a quadruple bypass heart surgery (02/13) and the doctors want me walking at least 20 minutes a day, slow pace for now.

I know people  who continue walking way after their surgeries.  It almost becomes a daily habit.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences