Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spinal Injection

had my injection this morning in L3. I had fusion four years ago L4-S1 and don’t want to go thru that again. How long was it till you feel any relief. I am having more aching, cramping in my toes and a mild headache. Was going to go back to work this afternoon, but the doctor advised against it. Any suggestions is appreciated.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527

Generally speaking it may take up to 72 hours before you feel any relief from ESIs.  The first 24 hours you do need to take it easy (so I would follow your doctor's advice about work) and the injection site may be sore.   Then from the 48 to 72 hour period you may notice some differences.  

Much also depends on the severity of your existing condition and the disc space that the injection can get into.   When there is enough space, the steroids have a better chance of working, then when there is only narrow spaces.

I do know that many doctor's offices will tell their patients it may take up to a week before you notice any differences.   In my personal experiences  (about 15 ESIs over a  number of years), I knew if I was going to get any relief with 48 hours.  Many of my ESIs did not produce any positive results, but on the other hand only 1 created negative impacts , but that was due to how the ESI was administered.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I just has my first (and last) injection 5 days ago. I had the pain for
    about 4 weeks that would come and go. I tied oral steroids with only
    minimum temporary relief. I was not prepared for the intense pain from
    the injection. I felt like a cannon was shot down my leg. Now my pain is
    constant and ranges for a 3-4 on rare occasions to a 10 most of the
    time. I went back to the MD and got more pain meds and more oral
    steroids. I feel like I have made a horrible mistake getting the
    injection.

• advertisement