Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery time for Microdiscectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1 at an age of 25.

anujsingh0002aanujsingh0002 Posts: 3
edited 03/15/2018 - 1:24 AM in Recovering from Surgery

Hello there!! I am new to this forum and I have few questions regarding my recovery from Microdiscectomy.

I had microdiscectomy/laminectomy and foraminotomy on 19th Feb 2018 at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Prior to that I took an epidural on 11th Jan 2018 with no significant relief. Post surgery my sciatic pain was almost gone (I do get some pain sometimes in my leg but am not sure whether it is sciatic pain or not) but there's a new and pretty serious numbness in my right foot and lateral part of my right leg. Doctor told me that this numbness will take 5-6 months to go off. My question is that will this numbness be completely gone in a few months or shall I get used to it? And will I be able to sprint again ever in my life and if yes, then how long shall I wait to start jogging again? I resumed my work (Desk Job) 1 week after my surgery and am walking around 3 kms every evening after work. Also, I was a chain smoker before my surgey but now I am trying to cut down to 0-1 cigarette a day. Comments please

advertisement

Comments

• Hi anujsingh0002

Welcome to Spine-health

It is good to read that your sciatic pain has almost gone.  After surgery the nerve can give pain while it is healing and nerves are very slow to heal.  I get regular zaps from mine just to let me I still need to be careful .

It is unclear from your message if the numbness happened during surgery or if that has developed afterwards.  But you have spoken to your doctor about it and that is the best thing to do, as you doctor is the only person that knows your full condition and surgery outcome.

When my nerve was compressed over a long period of time, while I was waiting for surgery, it produced numbness in my foot, calf and thigh.  Due to the length of time I have now had the numbness, it is likely to stay with me. My disc had a severe herniation in the April but I didn't get surgery until the following January.

Your doctor has put a time scales on yours for healing, so this is a good sign.

Just follow your doctors instructions about exercise and jogging.  There are no medical professional on this site to help you with that.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thanks for your comment AJ. 

I actually had some numbness prior to my surgery but it was very less than what I am having right now. And this new numbness started right after I opened my eyes after surgery. My doctor gave me this timeline in a very general way. He said that this numbness usually takes 5-6 months to go away. He did not specifically tell me that my numbness will be over in 6 months.

Also after my surgery I sometimes feel pain in my lower back on the side opposite to which I was operated on. I am pretty much sure that it not due to the incision wound. Has anyone gone through the same pain? Is it normal or could it be serious? This pain fades away when I sit or lye down but resurface again when I try to walk. 

One more thing that I wanted to ask was that has anyone recovered from this after microdiscectomy fully without needing a secondary surgery? All I read here is that people felt great after the surgery but within a few months they go back to square one and end up on a surgical table. I get that my back would never be as new but will I be able to continue with my life with very minimal pain if I take the precautions for next few months as my doctor told me?

• advertisement
  • I have found the best way to approach recovery is to be totally positive and believe you will make a full recovery.

Everybody is different in recovery, so there isn't really an answer to your question.  We have found that if people have a good recovery, they will leave the site as they have no need to stay, so you are seeing the people that do not have the desired outcome, so will return for support.

You are right, your back now has a weakness and you need to address that and do everything possible to protect that.  Correct exercises as set by physio, good diet, good habits and good positive thinking will all help take you forward.

Good luck with your recovery and I hope the information and members on this site help you with information and support.

Keep us updated

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Hi anuj it seems a little early to say too much as drugs used during surgery and nerve blocks ect mays till be masking any severe pain.lets see how you are around 20th april.i  hope you are pain free and recovering nicely by then atb chris

• All the best lets see how you are in another month i wont say any more but lets hope all goes well

• advertisement
  • Can drugs last that long?

• AJ, you said “It is good to read that your sciatic pain has almost gone.  After surgery the nerve can give pain while it is healing and nerves are very slow to heal.”.  

I’m 5 days out (4/2 surgery date) from a similar procudure as Anuj.   Only on L4/5, for stenosis and bulging disk. I had A microdiscectomy at the same level in 2008 that worked wonders for 9 years! 

Sciatica re-started 6months ago and started to get severe this March.  So much so that it was like my leg was being ripped off.  Severe pain in the butt and down to the outer-calf.

This week, the first few days after surgery were great.  I could walk, move around, then lay down.  Tried not to over do it.  I had some residual leg pain in the calf, but that was it.   Starting yesterday it came back to a pretty high level of leg pain.  Not the leg getting ripped off feeling, but lots of stabbing pain, and searing pain to the calf.   Doctor’s assistant suggested it was from inflammation and swelling and that I take Prescription dose of Advil to calm the nerve.

You can imagine I’m terrified by now.  You know the story... the pain before kept me from living.  I couldn’t even sit in a car.  If we wanted to go somewhere I had a bed made up in the back seat to lay down.  It couldn’t sit on a  toilet without screaming in pain.  I stopped participating in my own life.

So I have surgery for it all, and here I am Back at almost the same level of pain as before.  I know It’s a week out.  But the nerve was calm and happy for 3 days...   am I just being impatient?  Is it normal that people have this kind of leg pain after their laminectomy? 

advertisement