Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

horrible pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Chronic Pain
I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me. I'm a 29 year old mom of two. I have had horrible back pain for years. Sometimes i cant stand up. My posture has gone to hell.
docs dont seem to take it seriously. They dont want to prescribe me pain medication which i assume is because of my age. I just cant take it anymore. I feel like im 90 years old. I only want to feel better. Does anyone know if medicaid pays for surgery on the back. I really thing i have a herniated disk. Any advice is welcome. I feel like im dying here.
Thanks, Laurel


  • Welcome to Spine Health! You will find some good advice here, but it should not substitute for good old physician knowledge (but it may come this close!). You should always verify anything with your doctor. And the other forums are helpful too, each in their own rights...

    That being said, I am not sure what all Medicaid will pay for. I also don't know which state you live in.

    Try going to their website:

    If that doesn't have what you need, try typing in a search "www.(your state abbreviation).gov"

    Hopefully, this is helpful.

  • :H Hi there! I'm sorry to see a fellow sufferer show up on the boards, because I hate to see another in the pain that I deal with every day of my life. But if you are in pain, this is the place to be. What type of doctors have you been to? What tests have been run? There can be many causes as to why your back is hurting. Why do you think it is a herniated disk? I know, a Q&A session.
  • advertisement
  • :> hi! i see this is your first post and i wanted to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. if the medicaid does not work out try a teaching hospital. they offer many free services often including surgery. you have a long way to go before you should consider surgery. have you tried any pt or injections or any other number of conservative treatments? what about an mri or even an x-ray? what type of doctors are you seeing? many conditions have terrible pain and are not a herniated disc. check out Treatments and Conditions at the top of the forum for some valuable information. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I dont know why your doctor would not order an MRI, you need one done to see whats going on, that is the first step. You may have to tell your doctor you want an MRI ordered on whatever part of your back the pain is.

    I believe medicaid will cover surgery as long as its not just the office visit card.
  • I live in Michigan and I have Medicaid and I'm here to tell ya...they're not too keen on paying for surgery (or much of anything else for that matter!). But as Jenny was pointing to, you need to try all other conservative methods first before you even consider surgery. You do NOT want to have surgery prematurely and wind up regretting it later!! However, if, after going through various testing and other treatments, you are finally told that you need to have surgery, there is a possibility that Medicaid will pay for it, depending on what type of surgery it is. I know that they approved me last year for an endoscopic discectomy (it took them a year and by that time it was too late as more damage was done while I was waiting so it wouldn't do much good now anyway :S ) but I can't say for sure what it would/wouldn't cover for you.

    Please discuss this with your Doctor so that the proper testing can be done to determine exactly what's going on back there, then begin the conservative steps. Maybe you will feel better sooner than you think...one never knows, and plus, even if it is a herniated disc, there are people that feel better after a course of rest/ice/heat/pain meds/antiinflammatories (not me, but some!).

    Best of luck to you and please keep us posted, OK?

    Take care of you...
  • advertisement
  • I live in georgia and I have worked out of the country for a great deal of my life. To make this short my comp ran out and medicaid paid for a fusion of L1-L2-L3-L4-L5 and something else on S1 I dont know about other states but georgia will pay for back surgery If you find a doctor willing to do it. I was lucky My first op was done on comp So my same doc did the fusion even though he did not take medicaid he made an exception because he had done the first op. Thats all I really know about it they will pay here. Rev Lewis
  • The fact that you "think" you have a herniated disk makes me really wonder about your Dr. :?

    He should KNOW if you do or not.

    Why no MRI or other testing?
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.