Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Back Fusion Surgery

Hello all,

In the last 6 months I had decompression surgery to address a herniated disk. The surgery was about 90 percent successful in addressing my sciatica. However, I still continue to throw out my back at least once a month. Each episode is painful and last around five days. From what I have researched it looks like i may have unstable disk so it continues to slip. Based on research it looks likea fusion would be a surgery to address this.

If you have had fusion surgery, can you please share your experience and if it worked for you?

Thank you

advertisement

Comments

• martymarmmartymar Posts: 95
    edited 03/24/2018 - 8:40 AM

Rabmozzer i have had a total of 7 surgeries the last one being a 45 51 tlif which I had 9 weeks ago. You can ask 20 different people their experience and you will get 20 different answers. This is my story I had a 2 day hospital stay the pain wasn't excruciating but I was on a morphine pump at the time. After I left the hospital the first two weeks where rough it's definitely not an easy recovery your going to have a lot of different aches and pains probably muscle spasms and nerve pain. That lasted until the 7th week things are much better now, I still get bouts of pain, I also have lingering pain in my left hip and some nerve pain in my left leg. I would read all the posts you can to get an overall picture of what to expect honestly I think you will have your own recovery issues good and bad. I don't regret my surgery because my quality of life before really sucked if I had to rate my recovery right now I would put it a 60 percent for 9 weeks so in my book I'm doing pretty good. Even now though I think I'm doing good and you wake up one morning and it feels you have taken 3 steps back but I recoup fairly quickly so be prepared for that. My opinion on the pain pills is I try to allow a certain amount of pain so I know where I'm at in my recovery and to stop me from doing something stupid. I'm off everything now except a little tramadol so to sum it, it was a long 7 weeks but feel it was worth it. Gl

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

hello rabmozzer
    welcome to spine-health

so true what martymar said. 20 different people, 20 different answers. and it also depends on the surgeon and how you handle your recovery. 
    one of the best way for you to see for yourself is go to surgery buddies, jan. or feb., and read. these are members that have had surgery and are in recovery.

please click on the welcome link below and tutorial for more information to get you started on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement