Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

TIPS/HELP ON SSDI APPLICATION

I've had 4 back surgeries in 20 months so it's time to apply for SSDI.. I welcome any and all advice and tips like a guideline that may help with a thorough application. Thank you :)

advertisement

Comments

• gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 240

Age, Education level, Type of job you have now or have held in the past, Type of treatment you are seeking,  Have a medical condition that’s expected to last at least one year. All will be a factor. So  If your 22-49 years old, have a college education with a desk job, You will have a harder time than someone over 50 with a strenuous job and High school education.  SSD will ask your doctors about: • Your medical condition(s); • When your medical condition(s) began; • How your medical condition(s) limit your activities; • Medical tests results; and • What treatment you’ve received. They’ll also ask the doctors for information about your ability to do work-related activities, such as walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, and remembering instructions. Your doctors don’t decide if you’re disabled. The state agency staff may need more medical information before they can decide if you’re disabled. If your medical sources can’t provide needed information, the state agency may ask you to go for a special examination. SSDI is not just a freebee. It can take years or as little as 3-6 months to receive it, or at all.  Think of it as a trial, You have to prove you are disabled, most times with a lawyer. Good luck. 

Greg fisher
  • My tip would be to call an attorney that only does Disability cases.  They will probably have you file and receive a denial before they will step in but that may vary with your location.

I was denied twice before I called an attorney and wished I hadn't waited.  She knew exactly what my doctor needed to put in the paperwork.so she met with him and handled all that.  I also had to see a Doctor for memory tests and I was shocked at how poor those results were.

After turning in all the paperwork, an Administrative Law Judge looks it over and often you go in for a hearing so they can ask you questions.  Sometimes you will get lucky and the judge will ok your benefits without a hearing, which is what happened in my case.  The attorney said the judge mentioned that a letter my doctor included with his paperwork made the difference.  How would I have ever known that?  The attorney was the one that asked him to do that.  I had my back pay within 3 months.  

The attorney is definitely worth it.  

Cindy

• advertisement
  • As pointed out, hire an attorney that specializes in disability. You can only be charged a small amount set by law and it is taken out of your initial settlement so you don't need any "up Front" money or retainer fee, 

• ellebe

welcome to spine-health

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

Disability benefits can be hard to get, I have had 6 back surgeries, including 2 fusion surgeries, 1 cervical fusion surgery and talk of more to come, I applied for benefits in Jan. 2018, so far I am on my second denial, I have a represenative that is retired from social security, he is not an attorney, but he trains attorneys in my area, I talked to a couple of attorneys before filing, both said come see them after you are denied the third time, in my state N.C. you are not allowed to work at all while you are filing for benefits, so it can get real tight real quick.
    I am not trying to discourage you in any way, just making sure you know that it can be a long haul.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

advertisement