Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

To stimulate or not

I had microdiscectomy and laminectomy two years ago.  I have had PT, TENS treatment, SI injections, spinal injections, pain killers, and never block medications but still have nerve related pain.  The physiatrist is telling me that i am a good candidate for a spinal cord stimulation trial.  The risks seem really significant and issue rates seem pretty high.  Any thoughts from this group on the risk/benefit of this procedure?  Anyone have any issues with broken leads, infection, paralysis?  

thanks

advertisement

Comments

• I went through all of the same treatments before I got my spinal cord stimulator - PT, TENS, steroid injections, surgeries, pain killers, etc. The spinal cord stimulator made a big difference in my quality of life. A trial is a good way to see if SCS will help with your symptoms. It's true that there are risks, and in fact my orthopedic surgeon was not a fan of SCS because of the risks when I discussed with him.

However, it's worked well for me and I'm glad I went through with the implantation. Note that people can and do experience issues. I fractured my leads 2 years after my initial implantation and needed revision surgery to replace them. I also have a friend who got a very bad infection as a result of the surgery and needed IV antibiotics for a month to recover. I don't know what the complication rate is, but you will have to weigh the pros and cons for your situation and then make an informed decision. 

• I am now about 6 weeks post scs implant.  Still recovering, but really happy with it so far. 

@Vince in Philly  Do you know how you fractured the leads?  Was it a certain movement you did, or was it just the fault of the leads themselves?  Just curious...don't want to make any mistakes myself that I could avoid if I new better! 

• advertisement
  • @wienslar I don't know how I fractured my leads. I had a battery replacement prior to the lead fracture and I'm not sure if that had an impact. It's also fair to say that I applied very few activity limits to my life after getting the SCS. I'm swimming, lifting weights, doing yard work, snow removal, home and auto repair, etc. so may have been pushing the boundaries of the system design. The leads are insulated of course, so the location of the breaks was not obvious when they were removed.