Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatica with no herniated Disc

Hey everyone, 

I've been freaking sciatica for a year now. I've had an MRI done on my lower back and it came back normal except for the disc height being lower than it should be. I've had a nerve block injection and 2 other type of injections and none worked. I'm taking Percocet up to 6 times a day. My pain doctor is kind of at his wits end. He's going to do a discogram on the 19th to see if there's a tear or something else going on. I can't walk, sit or stand without ending up back in bed, crying. I do have a collagen defect and fibromyalgia. Has anyone else had sciatica that wasnt caused by a herniated disc? I do get occasional OIC, but it still hurts when i don't have that.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584

I have not heard of sciatica without some type of nerve impingement.    What is OIC?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704

Piriformis inflammation can be impinging the nerve as well. 

• advertisement
  • tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 44
    edited 04/13/2018 - 4:17 PM

Make sure to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion as sometimes these "experts" are lacking in skill like they did with me!  My MRI was "normal" looking yet I had severe sciatica down one leg into the heel and little toe (Classic S1 nerve impingment)  Then my right leg and foot was starting to having issues.  Turns out these experts missed the foraminal stenosis at the exiting L5 nerve roots and the fact the L5 disc was lightly pressing on the two S1 nerve roots going down.  On the MRI the disc bulge was very MINIMAL and they said it was not an issue at all.  Turns out at this segment, L5/S1 you have a double whammy of a problem as the L5 exiting nerve roots and the tranversing S1 nerves going down can easily be affected with minimal bulge at L5/S1.  The more you know....

• I had Pelvic Floor inflammation so bad that the inflammation wrapped around my hip to my lower back and was causing sciatica. It eventually spread to my abdomen too. I couldn’t sit or stand or walk for too long and I even had to lay in certain positions or it was too painful. The inflammation in my muscles was pressing on my sciatic nerve on my right side causing the sciatica. No one had any clue what it was...I almost had exploratory surgery...until I happened to see the right OBGYN who thought it my be my Pelvic Floor muscles inflamed so she sent me to a Physical Therapist who specializes in pelvic floors and wow, did she ever save me! She said she could physically feel the inflammation with just her hands on the outside of my muscles (hip, lower back, abdomen), it was that bad. After a couple months, my pain was significantly less painful. I was functioning so much better thanks to her. 

• Tjlazer, that's sounds like mine. My big toe will hurt so bad itll feel like it's broken. I've got a copy of the cd and actually have a few other people who said they'd look at it. I'm hoping this discogram will show something. I hope they figure something out soon because sitting is impossible now and others don't understand and are getting frustrated with me. 

• advertisement
  • TJlazer -- what was the solution? Did you have any procedures done? Did your pain resolve? 

• DainoDDaino Posts: 1
    edited 04/18/2018 - 4:06 PM

Just to give you an idea .

[edit]Have a PT to evaluate you as,they normally are very good at finding out if you are getting pain because of the Piriformis.

Some people had MicroDiscectomy done and later after still having pain ,they will  find out that actually it was the Piriformis.

Both disc herniation and piriformis have very close symptoms.

Again that is just and idea that you might take in consideration,and I am not by far a DOCTOR .

Hope you will get better soon .

Edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator Removed medical advice

advertisement