Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatic pain with radiculopathy in left leg and foot: I need some encouragement

Hello,  

I've been reading many of the posts on this site and decided to finally create my own profile. 

I'm 26 years old with stinging and burning sciatic pain down my left leg.  The only thing that makes it better is if I lie flat face down on my stomach, which almost gives me instant relief.  I've been having the sciatic pain for about a year with some numbing in my leg and toes,  which I ignored and figured would go away with time. Starting last week, my pain became much worse to the point  I can not stand, sit, or walk for very long.  I'm alone in life and do not have any family or loved ones to take care of me.  I have bills that need to be paid and I have to return to work by next week or else I run the risk of losing everything.  I went to the ER when the symptoms first became excruciating which I was then given 600mg of ibuprofen, a muscle relaxant,  and lidocaine patches.  I was told to just see my GP, but I didn't feel as though they didn't really care about my concern.  

I need words of advice,  encouragement, and opinions.  I know I screwed up not taking care of it sooner.  I'm feeling really low and depressed just lying in bed wondering when I'll get better. I really need to return to work asap... what should i do? Please help. 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi sennaners

Welcome to Spine-health

Please take the advice of ER and go to your GP to get a referral for investigations.  Numbness should not be ignored.

The sooner you get linked with a doctor, the sooner they can find out exactly what the problem is.  Your doctor can also give you support and advice about time off work and any other support that may be available during treatment.  Make sure he is aware you have no family or support to help you.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  There is lots of material to research on Spine-health that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Wish someone told me this at 26.  Start using an Inversion table or other type of traction.  Since you get relief laying down, this will help!  I am 46 and am doing that.  Wish I started this 20 years ago.   Of course I have to tell you that you need to clear this with your DR first to make sure you are healthy enough to do this.  Some people are not and it can make things worse. But for routine sciatia due to a minor to moderate disc bulge, this helps a lot!  With severe bulges, or sequestered disc fragments it can make things worse, and are best treated with Surgery.  Good luck!

• advertisement
  • Thank you! I will search around to see who has an inversion table! I got my MRI done,  btw.  It shows a pretty big disc herniation at L5S1. I've been suggested to try PT again, but the last time I did,  they made things worse for me than better.