Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scared

mokajavammokajava Posts: 1

Brief history: knee and lower back started to hurt out of nowhere about 2 and 1/2 years ago. It would come and go. It lasted a month or so then would totally clear up. The pain did this for about a year or so. I went to the Dr. and orthopedic Dr. and they told me nothing was wrong and sent me to PT. I did PT for about 6 weeks and it made me worse. The only thing that made me better was not moving. The pain again waxed and waned, never truly went away, When aggravated by movement, the pain was debilitating. 

About 4 months ago  it started to get worse. Many Dr. visits etc.... Now the pain was beginning in both knees, previously it was all left sided. At this point I could still walk, although very carefully as every step can cause pain out of nowhere and my knees started to pop out. I limped to another orthopedic Dr. who took about 1 minute to take a history and took some x-rays of my knees and said there was nothing wrong with me, good luck. [edit]. Back to my primary, she said I needed an MRI of my back but my insurance would make me do PT first. On to PT. She stretched me and twisted me, At the time I thought she may be able to help. Went for a walk right after the appointment and stepped and was in pain with my right knee and started having nephropathy down the front of both legs.I got my MRI and I have degenerative disc disease and problems with my lumbar spine, every disc space except for L2-L3.     L4-L5 being the worse with foraminal narrowing on the Right and Left side. Now this has progressed to where I can only take a few steps at a time. Thank God my employer is VERY understanding of my situation and lets me sit down and work reception so I don't have to move. 

Healthcare where I live is terrible!!!!! I have been waiting since Feb. to see a neurologist and my appointment isn't until the end of next month. I have been to the pain clinic and have back injections set up for the soonest they had, the beginning of June! 

I am in constant pain 6 to 10 (on the pain scale) every single second of every single day!!!!! I am on gabapentin. It helps with the burning somewhat, but my knees are so painful I can't walk. I've tried every non-steroidal  pretty much with no relief at all. I have vicoden which helps tremendously with the knee pain, but I can't take them. The effects wear off sooner and sooner so I need more and more to get the same relief and when they wear off the pain is so much worse and the depression is unbearable.  

Before all of this I was a very active person, hiking, going to the gym, traveling etc..... I live with my BF and he doesn't get it. He doesn't get I can't go to the grocery store cause I can't walk that far or go to do the laundry cause the laundry room is a few buildings away and I can't get there. I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced this can understand what this is like. 

Sorry this is so long. I am just done!!!!!!! I'm sick of struggling through every day. I'm sick of being passed around from Dr. to Dr. and being put on drug after drug that just don't work so I'm told to take more. My last hope is the back injections. I'm so scared that I'm just going to deteriorate and not be able to walk at all. I just want my life back!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to read my rant. 

Edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hello Mokajava, Your title "Scared" made me want to reply, because that is exactly how I felt when I experienced sciatic pain and terrible knee pain out of the blue. I was training in martial arts and was noticing pain for a while. I was doing lots of things that apparently put more stress on the spine and then...simple bend. (I suspect that I injured it many years before but was not properly diagnosed.) When I first hurt; I had mini knee dislocations and the pain was so bad just to get up or do anything. What worked for me - After initial flare up/injury: Rest for me, flat (on memeory foam topper) with heating pad as much as I could stand. I hate taking any pills, but keeping on ibuprophen to reduce inflammation was necessary for 6 weeks. When up; I would hang from mounted bar supported by my bent knees. (Seemed to lessen pressure on the spine.) Very simple exercise like: From all fours position - extending 1 leg back to straight, hold and switch leg. Eventually worked on extending opposite arm forward. Weird, but it helped. I try my best not to bring in my legs to a tucked to body or martial arts chamber - as that pulls like crazy and then I can barely do anything til under control. I was able to do a sitting bike to keep up exercise. Careful crunch only sit ups. I purchased anti fatigue kitchen mats (life saver) and wear super cushioned shoes around house (hard floors). Walking for me was eventually great, but not when the pain was already bad. The worst for me is standing still or up from hard chair to standing repeatedly. I now can take long strong hill walks that I worked up to. I use a heel to toe foot placement like in tai chi to lower impact. Funny thing is - doing the grocery store is still awful for me. I think it's a stop start type thing - like mixed standing? Anyway, I imagine that your spine has some deeper challenges - but if you are patient with yourself and have strategy what you choose to do - I hope to encourage you that you can get better. Don't give up!

• advertisement