Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Years of pain, but recent severe spinal stenosis diagnosis, what exercises are safe?

Hi, I'm a newb. :)  I have been reading other posts and hearing so many similarities with myself, I felt I could get some good advice here. 

I have been suffering from right hip/buttock pain for many years. Thought it was many things and tried many things, but always as it related to hip muscle/bone/etc, and never resolved the pain. Even the first Dr (Xrays only) pointed to a weakened hip and prescribed PT, but that didn't resolve my pain either. A year later, around June 2017, I couldn't take it anymore and went to another Dr who did an MRI and saw the severe lumbar spinal stenosis at L4-L5. Two other MRIs, done because of other possible spine issues, revealed cervical spinal stenosis and a long, 3mm diameter (thickest point) thoracic hydromyelia. Saw a neurosurgeon who steered me away from surgery, for now. 

Started Rx pain meds and hated them from the start (made me feel loopy) and also had one spinal injection which brought no pain relief. I then tried CBD after speaking with a friend...10mg daily at first, but found better relief at 25mg daily, and now I am able to get through the day with most of the pain subdued. Since I am having success with CBD, I decided to not have any further spinal injections.

I have not been terribly active that last few years because of this pain, but now that I know what I'm dealing with and have pain somewhat under control, I am trying to get back to it. I am 52 and slightly overweight and I know this doesn't help my condition, so resuming activity is important to me. My diet is clean and unprocessed.

I have been using our bike trainer for a few months now, 3-5 times a week, and also going to walks after dinner with my husband and a longer walk/hike on the weekends. Most of the time, the longer walks really start to bother me, but my husband feels I just need to strengthen the hip. Today, I started up some of the PT exercises again and some upper body lifting (light weights to start) to try to strengthen my hip, but also build back lost muscle. He is hoping that this summer, I'll be well enough to attempt some long hikes at altitude (14K foot hikes) with our two teenagers like we used to do before we were married. 

My question is, is this something I should even be considering? I am happy to go on shorter evening walks, but that last thing I want to do is aggravate the stenosis...not just because it's more painful, but because I worry about accelerating it. If it's already severe, what's next if it worsens?

Thanks IA!

advertisement

Comments