Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Factors making decision to have surgery

I am Dx with L4/L5 stenosis due to spondylolithesis (<25%) with hypertrophic facet of L4 impinging on sciatic nerve. MD states "ALTHOUGH SHE DOES NOT HAVE DYNAMIC INSTABILITY OF HER L4-L5 SPONDY, I SUSPECT SHE MAY STILL BENEFIT FROM FUSION FOR HER BACK PAIN (his caps, not mine)". My PT advises that surgery should be last resort. 

What factors did you consider before deciding to have/not have surgery? How does the patient made desperate with pain make this decision?

advertisement

Comments

  • QuestJan, The only one to finally make the choice between surgery or alternative treatments are you. If it’s tolerable now and your able to maintain somewhat of a normal life then why have surgery? Once a fusion is done, there’s no turning back! Try all conservative treatments first before making that decision.

  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,084

    David is right. Do all conservative treatments first. Make a check list of your life, what you can and cannot do, how bad is the pain and when, is it something I can live with for a while. You are the only one. But do some more reading and research and ask your doctor more questions.

    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I am going through the same thing as you right now. I have severe facet hypertropy in L5-S1 moderate in L4-L5 Mild L3-L4. With nerve envolvment in both legs.  My PCM wants me to meet with ortho. and a neuro. My PM says don’t go for surgery. I get RFA every 6 months. Just had another round of steroid injections Monday. My life has come almost to a halt. I can’t drive much anymore due to the pain. My activities are next to nothing I enjoyed even a year ago. I don’t know what I am going to do yet. I’m scared out of mind about surgery and all the horror stories I have heard. I also know the condition I have is not a great fit for surgery. I can’t tell you what to do. It is your decision. Mine will come down to speaking with all the different doctors over the next few months and doing more research then weighing it all out. Best of luck to you on your journey. Let us know what you decide to do. 

  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,084

    Laura
    What is your PM's reasoning for not wanting you to have surgery? I know this is a big decision but do not let other people's experiences scare you, they are not all bad. We have great success stories here on the forum.
    Read through Surgery Buddies, prior months. This is where members have posted before and after surgery.
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.