Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pins and needles feeling when standing up gone, improvement?

Would like members thoughts on this.

Slightly compressed L5 nerve and I'm doing everything my pt recommended . For months when initially standing up after sitting or lying down, my big toe would get a rush of pins and needles feeling for a minute and then go back to very lightly numb.

I say numb, but not really numb, I call feel it but known something isn't right . Anyways , been writing down how everything feels to track progress and just realized the initial rush of nerve sensation is not there anymore. I just have a constant feeling in my big toe and the area that something isn't right but I can still feel it.

Does this make sense? Anyone experience this and if so, is that am improvement or decline? My calf pain isn't as bad.

advertisement

Comments

• I guess it depends on your pain associated with the symptoms. My rush of nerve pain in the morning is still there but very minimal in other words I'm not screaming bloody murder in the morning anymore did I wish it was gone 100% yes but less rush is better in my opinion I'll take a feeling like something is off vs a full blown attack of nervw pain. Now the doctor never gives me a straight answer as too wether or not this is a sign of getting better but I do know it's taken me 10 months to get here 

• Maybe I should have clarified.  95% of pain is in calf when it flares up, 5% in buttock but only when moving.  When my pain comes, it's deep in my calf only, weird.

But thank you for your opinion on the surging nerve feeling . I too think it is an improvement. I am not seeing any doctors now to ask this. Pain in calf comes and goes.

• advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704

Depends on the site of the impingement and how deep the impingement of the nerve. Symptoms can change as the impingement changes. Numb, is not where you want to be. I say that because you know something is wrong, but don't feel much pain, which can lull you into forgetting something is wrong and nothing is done to get better. 

• Thanks for the info.  Well numb isn't the word, I don't know what to call it. I have all feeling in my foot and haven't lost any strength or anything .

It's just I know something is wrong, but faintly. I don't know what to call it. But yes, I agree the pins and needles feeling gone is a good thing. I'm monitoring the foot thing and also calf pain flare ups . 

advertisement