Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Excessive Sweating After Back Injury. Thoughts Please?

Comments

• Well, I just received MRI confirmation that I have 2 or 3 cervical herniations with nerve root impingement and 2 lumbar with impingement. I am hoping and praying that these nerve issues are causing my symptoms, as surgery may be an option for nerve de-compression.

• I was wondering if you were on any medications, and if you have a rash or flushing with the heat

• advertisement
  • Also, I had Neck surgery, (fusion, and replaced 2 disc with cadaver bones, and metal plate) in 2005, I have degenerative disc/joint disease. My surgery did not help with the pain at all, my doctor told me before I got the surgery that it's only a 50 percent chance that it would help, but I was in so much pain that I was willing to take the chance, I now regret that decision, I have had more problems since, so please be careful and weight in all options and make sure you discuss this with your doctor and you might even get a second opinion. But anyway, after my surgery I started sweating profusely with any movement or heat, and I have heat intolerance, it seems to be getting worse, after I take a shower, I actually start sweating, and my skin on my face, arms and chest gets red flushed, my sweating is more on my upper body, and I have a rash that looks like goosebumps on my arms, and my face is now staying a little flushed, I am still trying to find out what it is, but I keep thinking that it is connected to my surgery, or nerves somehow, I have just started seeing a Rheumatologist and hopefully I find out exactly what is going on, I wish you the best of luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

• I was wondering if you were on any medications, and if you have a rash or flushing with the heat

• There is actually a lot of literature about unreasonable sweating occurring for those with spinal cord injuries. It’s called reflex sweating. 

• advertisement
  • Thank you for the responses.

I am not on any medication for the pain and discomfort. I have been able to manage the pain on a daily basis for the most part. The surgeons that I've seen so far have said that excessive sweating is not typically a response to spine injuries. They have said that the body can do all sorts of messed up things when under pain for many years, so they were cautiously considering that the sweating may improve after surgery.

Artificial Disc Replacement has been suggested in my neck and low back. We are currently trying to decide what we are going to do...

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 941
    marcus60486 - I'm sorry that I missed your question back on 6/23/18 asking if my symptoms were similar?

In an attempt to answer concerning the excessive sweating, well kind of....  Since my posting in this thread, my upper body sweating had gotten worse.  I was extremely sensitive to small changes in temperature.  At one temperature I would be sweeting, so I'd lower the A/C a couple of degrees and then I'd be having chills.  I'd also break out in a sweet after taking a warm shower.

Come to find that my blood pressure was running low.  Monday a week ago, I was in my PCPs office and my blood pressure was 94/60.  I had been complaining about my blood pressure running on the low side, but it really had dropped recently.  Over the years, my PCP had been increasing my dosage of blood pressure meds.  I told him that I expected at the time my blood pressure was increasing because of increasing pain levels.  He claimed that pain had nothing to do with blood pressure.

Well, the PCP agreed that I needed to cut my dosage of blood pressure med.  This is now the second cut since my last neck surgery in January.  I'm now at one third of the blood pressure med that I had been taking before the January surgery.  Guess what?  My excessive sweeting has basically gone away.  I'm not saying that low blood pressure is the only cause, but getting my blood pressure "more normal" has made a significant change for me.

• Wow, I'm so glad that you have found a solution! That is a great feeling!

• Okay, so I’ve had sever sweating since multi level lumbar fusion but my scalp, not my buttocks. Your post caught my eye. 

I’m responding because I too had nerve testing and was very nervous. It was fine...and I had such perfect cervical nerve damage that the doctor wanted show and explain graphs to me while still conducting the test. I finally had to ask him to stop. 

Hang in there. 

• Wow, sorry to hear djstola...have you found any resolution to your sweating issues?

advertisement