Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Degenerate disc disease

Hi Guys

I'm new here. I was recently diagnosed with DDD by a government hospital. I have had my pains in the upper section for about 6 years and for the last 2 years it's generated right down to my legs and caused sciatica. I'm 35 and I've had most scans you can think of in 2015, but because i was so young they didn't want to operate and just tried all kinds of other methods like physio pain meds ext. Most of the pain meds was over the counter meds. I have not once woken up in the last 6 years without excruciating pain in my back and 2 weeks ago i went for another MRI and got an appointment for a neurosurgeon. I am scared and don't know what to expect. My fiance dont want me to do surgery, but after struggling for so long how can i say No. I really need advise. I have being going to gym 4 days a week, co'z they said exercise  helps, but it just keeps getting worst. What can i expect from the neurosurgeon? 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,353

hello lettie36
    welcome to spine-health

i am so sorry you are having to deal with this. i too have ddd so i know how painful it can be. if you have to make a decision about surgery, that should be between you and your surgeon. do what's best for you, you are the one that has to deal with pain, no one else. below are some articles i would like for you to read. it will help you understand ddd better. there is also a link that will help you ask your surgeon the right questions.

40 questions to ask your surgeon
    what you need to know about degenerative disc disease 
    /www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/105642/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/what-you-need-know-about-degenerative-disc-disease#latest

there is a lot of information above so make yourself some notes before going to the doctor .
    please click on the welcome link below and the tutorial to help you get started on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

take care and keep us posted on what you find out.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi lettie36

Welcome to Spine-health

It is normal to be concerned about the unknown, but this site has so much information for new members that will help you understand your condition more and chat to other people that understand severe pain.

@Memerainbolt has supplied some of that information, so just let us know if there is anything you can't find on the site.

Take care

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement