Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Amitriptyline

Good Morning,

I'm a 28 year old male, im suffering with my lowest left disc in back being prolapse which is giving me chronic sciatica down my left leg, this has been ongoing since december 2017 and now been of work for the past month due to being unable to stand longer than a few mintues due to chronic pain then having to lay down flat on my back. I have been taking cocodiemal (30/500) 2 x 4 times a day and ibuprofen since december for pain relief and trying other painkillers (oramorph & tramadol) inbetween, tramadol didn't do nothing for me and oramorph was good at night.

2 weeks ago I had a steriod injection in my back and hasn't touched it at all and hospital wont see me for an extra 6 weeks 'till the steriod injection have kicked in' apparently which im not too happy about. I have been going to chiropractor since december to try and help the pain, she is amazed docotors have never given me nerve blockers so yesterday I asked and GP gave me Amitriptyline.

Question is,

It says i should take Amitriptyline at night before bed and up it if I need too, i know it is a sedative and can help me sleep though the night without pain, but shouldnt i take it though the day as well as at night as if it's a nerve blocker it would help me get up and walking and moving and maybe back To work, than taking at night and then it been worn off in the morning to be awoken to be in pain again?!

Many Thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• hi youngen

welcome to spine-health

all medication must be taken as prescribed by your doctor.  please call them and asked for advice if you think your dosage or time are wrong.

there are no medical professional on this site to advise you

i have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules.  there is lots of material to research on spine-health that will give you the power of knowledge.

welcome to spine health

aj 

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017