Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Toileting device—will I need it forever?

Straightened and Fused T12–S1 three weeks ago today.

I bought a device for holding toilet paper for wiping after toileting. I am still learning how to use it most effectively. It occurs to me that once I am fully fused, I will continue to have a lack of mobility in my lower back. And my arms will not be growing any longer. Should I expect to use this device for the rest of my life? That is a depressing thought. Or do people find other ways to manage their hygiene?

Moogy

advertisement

Comments

• Jade8568JJade8568 Posts: 5
    edited 05/27/2018 - 2:15 PM

I just had an artificial disc replacement surgery L5-S1  6 days ago. I have incisions in front and back ...no "fusions" but did have to have screws set in back to secure the disc. I also bought one of those thingys. Total waste of money in my opinion. Your muscles will of course be tight, but if you continue to rely on that, they will never stretch back out. Yeah it does hurt a bit to wipe but that stick is more trouble than its worth.. the paper gets stuck on it... then "other stuff" gets on it, and the material will break down quickly if you start washing it with soap & water.. read reviews online..everyone says it happened,... and apparently no one read the directions it came with LOL 

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,218

i had a t10-pelvis done in dec 2016, it was 8 weeks before i could reach, but i can now with no problems.  you will learn to move more at the level above your fusion over time, so you will get some flexibility back compared to what you have now....just not in your lower back....

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,075

As WLLady just said, in time you body will adjust and you wont need your toilet buddy

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for the hopeful advice. I am finally figuring out how to use it effectively, so maybe I won’t need it much longer.

advertisement