Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

15 weeks post op L5/S1 PLIF

Thought i would come back to the forums and post something positive. Im 15 weeks out from a plif l5/s1 with 2 titanium cages,4 screws, and 2 rods. I had a fu appointment a week ago and i asked if i was fused and the doctor said, "well we used 2 titanium cages in you, so we cant exactly see the bone fusing through the cage on an xray but we can see bone growing around the cage, and your screws and rods look rock solid and havent moved any. So chances are your fusing well, no restrictions, but let pain be your guide."  Sound normal??

So i started taking my brace off, got in the pool with my kids  2 days in a row, for an hr at a time. Very painful the following 4 days, but then back to previous pain levels. Obvoiusly not ready for that..

The positive side is i have been able to stand on my feet 9 hrs a day at work for the last few days. Pre surgery it was tough to stand that long. So already seeing good outcomes there.

I can actually bend over to fill out a paper on a table while standing as long as i brace myself with one hand. I havent been able to do that since 2013.. so that is also a good sign i think.

Also now am able to wash both hands at same time at a sink!! I washed one hand at a time for years because i had to have one hand to brace myself.. very excited about this!

Spine still aches without the brace on, hoping physical therapy will fix that??

I havent tried running, or working out yet, but most every aspect of life is better than pre surgery.. except this dull ache i always have without the brace on, it goes away instantly with the brace on? does this go away?  Im 29 years old, and lived all of my 20's with terrible back pain. Hoping i can sing "my next thirty years will be the best years of my life...."

advertisement