Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How did pharmacist become the key holder to our health?

Why are pharmacies refusing to fill prescriptions. Is it at their own discretion? Because this is going to be really bad! There's going to be death everywhere. Doctors are writing the prescriptions but no Pharmacy are feeling the prescriptions. The DEA has threatened pharmacist with their license so much they will not feel any prescriptions such as benzos or opiates. What's going to happen when people start dialing nine-one-one inside the pharmacy. When is this class action lawsuit against these corporate giants  likes wal mart who is blatantly discriminating against pain patients.

advertisement

Comments

• Pharmacists have always had the right to refuse to fill. What reason were you given? Were you trying to fill both an opiate and a benzo or one or the other?

Typically, many pharmacists will only fill on the due date, in large part.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,916

Hello 4myMA
    Welcome to Spine-Health

sandi123 is correct. It depends on the situation also. We have a Discussion called War on Opiods. Go to Forum home and scroll to the bottom.
    Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to help you get started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I would suggest that you let your doctor's office know the difficulty you are having.  The doctor may choose to speak with the pharmacist or recommend a different drug store that will fill the script.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 793

4myMa - I started having problems with one of the chains years ago, even before this "War on Opioids".  They kept having outages on my scripts and wouldn't do anything to help me.  One time, I had dropped off a script for an opioid and was waiting to have it filled.  One of the newbie pharmacists got on the PA and said, "will the drug addict for xxx opioid come to the customer counter".  I was so angry that I left the store for a while and came back later.  I was scared for my own safety.  In my part of the country, people have been killed for their opioid supply.  When I returned later, I then threatened to turn her into the government regulators for all the HIPAA laws that she had violated. 

I took my business to a small local chain pharmacy owned by a local family.  Since moving my business, I've NEVER had any problems with any opioid scripts.          

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,152

Dont be quick to blame some one.  In todays new environment with opioids there are many different factors that come into play when it comes to filling and handing out prescriptions

Probably, the most important role is with the doctor.  There are new standards when filling out prescriptions for opioids.  They need to register with the state.  I do not know if this applies to every state, but eventually I see this coming.

Now, no matter what the prescription is written for, only 7 days worth will be filled.  The doctor needs to register the patient with the state justifying why a months supply is required.

When everything is legitimate, there really should not be a reason why a pharmacist should not fill a script.  There can be some level of discrimination involved, age, etc

nutcase007, that comment by the pharmacy was totally totally inappropriate.  And down right degrading and insulting.  I think I would have blown my cork right there and would have to pay the consequences for what I might have said or done.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Nutcase:  OMG!  So sorry that happened to you!  I feel like Ron, don't know if I could have restrained myself from saying something.  For sure I would call their head office and let them know what happened.  Believe me they will want to hear it if something like that is happening in their store.  Give them the persons name if you know it.

I keep reading that the DEA decided that because the pharmacist is the final chance to make sure the script is legit, they are holding them responsible.  While I understand in a way, I think they should not be threatening the loss of their license unless they are purposely breaking the rules.  I think some of them are really frightened.

If you are having trouble with the pharmacy, EMS Guy is correct that you should give your Doctor a chance to help.  I know mine is always telling me to let them know if i have issues with insurance or pharmacy.  I just always tend to try to handle things myself and probably shouldn't.

Cindy

• For me the pharmacists have been ok, Up the food chain is where I have had issues. Specifically my drug plan provider. I can see it being harder to get something that gives me decent pain relief.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • In my state, Colorado, the pharmacy's input is to the state data base so that all pharmacist's can see if someone is a drug seeker and fills too many scripts.  My Dr has written for a month's supply with no problems.

• I know this post is older but I too have experienced problems where the pharmacists at one of the larger grocery store pharmacy.  I had been getting all of my scripts both narcotic and routine medications from them when one of my Oxycontin prescriptions where short. When I noticed and contacted the central phone line for all pharmacies, I was told that they had in fact dispensed a lower amount but neglected to annotate it one the bottle and/or receipt.  Fast forward to the next month when I waited in line to pick up my prescriptions, I was told that all of the pharmacists had talked and did not feel comfortable filling my narcotics at the dosage that I had been receiving. They told me that they would fill the scripts for this month but going forward I would have to make other arrangements.

I then switched to a mom and pop chain and have not had any problems until now I am having problems getting my narcotics prior authorization and coverage approved through my insurance company. My initial submission was denied by a pharmacist with the insurance company on medical necessity grounds. I take a high amount of OxyContin 140 mg every 8 hours. for the last six years. This pharmacist would rather through me into cold turkey withdrawals than approve coverage and since I am on disability, I can not afford to pay out of pocket.  I feel as though the pharmacist is attempting to practice medicine without a license. 

This whole thing is so frustrating. I agree with a previous poster where I feel as though they are contributing to individuals abusing drugs rather than working to prevent it by denying care or services.

We are already working on appeal number three and it doesn't look good.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,152

140 mg of Oxycontin every 8 hours!   Thats 420 mg a day, enough to put a horse to sleep.

The recommended and maximum dosage of Oxycontin for people is 80 to 160mg and that is for only the most sevre patients

Most doctors would never prescribe the amount you are taking and I can understand what a pharmacist would not want to fill that very large dosage.   And the pharmacist would be crazy if he suggested you go cold turkey consider the huge amount of opioids you are taking daily.   That is a definite recipe for a major disaster.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement