Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

what exercise works for you

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
i was just trying to come up with some ideas that could help with are lifestyle changes, and thought id ask WHAT EXCERISE WORKS FOR YOU ?
Sometimes i get fed up with walking and become bored and demotivated,so this week i ve decided to try something different,i can t go to the gym as whaen i tried my back became more painful so i ve found excerice beds called exten thet are mechinicl beds and chairs that work with you so there is a much less chance of injury they also have a tread machine and a massage bed so im gonna join on sunday and hopefully will go a few times a week.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi benji - is swimming an option for you?
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • :) Hi! well i like to ride my bike when i can. i don't drive and it gives me alitttle bit more freedom. i live next to the beach and the bike path there is just beautiful. if you have the chance to use a gym, grab it!!! let them help you get started and i bet you will get hooked. lots of fun machines and weights as well. of course the jacuzzi afterwards is the best part! lol! Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • No matter when you start, exercise improves health. Even people who start exercising later in life appear to gain many of the same health benefits as people who've exercised their whole lives, according to research at Stanford University School of Medicine.

Physical activity throughout life can help protect against some cancers. For breast and prostate cancer, it may help by regulating hormone levels. For colon cancer, physical activity speeds up the digestive process, shortening the exposure of the bowel lining to harmful substances Exercise also helps reduce cancer risk by helping people maintain a healthy weight.

• Have been the rehab exercises I found on here for after my fusion.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/rehabilitation-following-lumbar-fusion

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/moving-static-dynamic-exercises

I followed that routine to a "T" as they say, and well I'm doing fabulously now! I am in the "dynamic" portion at this point and have been for a while, but I still get a great workout out of it. Evey so often I increase the resistance bands, or reps etc., but as I am still just shy of 4 mo into recovery...anything with more impact than swimming, walking or biking is out! As are heavy weights which is what I had done all m life before my back injury.
  • Benji,
    The key as you say, is to keep motivated in doing regular exercise where possible, the biggest reason for people stopping doing exercise is setting off at too high a pace, this then associates exercise with more pain and we are deterred from attempting any in the future. A slower introduction will help.

Pacing is the key to find where that illusive threshold is for you and stay under those daily variants. Find what works for you, for me it has been cycling low impact and get that heart rate to its optimum performance quickly and safely.

Keep trying I applaud your effort, do it when you can, what would keep you going.

Take care and good luck.

John.

• advertisement
  • I daily goes for running, do routine exercise or yoga sometime do aerobics also..Keep track of my calorie intake...And yes don't follow any particular diet plan but eat natural things most..
    What's yours?
  • Exercise alone is not sufficient to maintain a healthy body. I believe in combination of dieting and exercising to maintain my weight. I go jogging 4 times a week and back it up with Bistro MD diet meals. Basically it’s a low calorie, protein rich diet. Works really well for me.
  • Of course, at home exercise plan can be a disadvantage if you take a few hours of your day, but there is a way to stay in balance without being chained to a treadmill for one hour followed by an hour or lifting jogging. directed exercise only takes a few minutes, great news for people who have better things to do with your time!
  • We started off so well, come on boys and girls...

Anything is better than nothing.

take care. John
  • Angie_2009 said:
    Exercise alone is not sufficient to maintain a healthy body. I believe in combination of dieting and exercising to maintain my weight. I go jogging 4 times a week and back it up with Bistro MD diet meals. Basically it’s a low calorie, protein rich diet. Works really well for me.
    I do exercises like walking,running, and swimming on alternate days.Along with that I feel a permanent change in food selection habits is required to sustain a lower body weight.The foods I take are carbohydrates foods like beans, lentils, vegetables and whole grains that burns fat.Other foods that are rich in protein like eggs,and fish>in fruits I take lemons, oranges,guava,grapefruit,papaya,sweet lime, tangerines and tomatoes which contains fat burning properties.

URL removed by Cindy (neck of steel)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.