Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Post op journey - long fusion T10-pelvis

Comments

• o my I wished I could say  I do not have issues with sleeping but I still do. I can only sleep on my right side but not all night..so I wake up and move around..i can now at 20 months lay on my left side but not for too long and not to sleep..i can sleep for 20 mins on my back now..but not much longer..one of the biggest side effect I read about is trobble sleeping..well, I have it..melatonine is my new best friend..but it only helps to fall asleep not stay asleep..but with 10 mg I can fall back most the time when I wake up..but not all the time. I can say at 6 months sleeping was a real issue, now I do a little better but it is still not good..i am just use to it now

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489

so at 21 months post surgery i wake up once in the middle of the night to actually get up and walk a bit on most nights.  i go to sleep on my left side, usually with a thicker pillow under my head, and a thin one between my knees.  i usually wake up flat on my back, with it getting angry, so sometime i roll over from my left side and end up on my back.  then i get back into bed on my right side, and that lasts about 20 minutes (usually just long enough to almost get back to sleep) and end up back on my left side....as i went to bed.  repeat.....yes, still have trouble sleeping.  i have woken up twice now on my front!  i used to be a front sleeper, and miss it tremendously....but then it's really really super difficult to get up.....so i definitely do not recommend sleeping on your front!!!!

i "did" the melatonin thing too for about a year....it helped me get to sleep.  but i still woke up through the night....i think i finally just adjusted to waking up.  it's a total novelty to sleep through, i've done that twice since i had surgery.  so yeah, unfortunately the sleeping problems are a long term issue for me as well.  i take time on the weekends to "sleep in" and nap and try to catch up....

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • I feel ya. I sleep on an adjustable bed so I'm forced to stay on my back but I do move my legs around and turn my head a lot. I've been sleeping less lately because if I'm down for more than 6 hours I'm in more pain so I'm feeling quite exhausted and sleep deprived. I am still struggling with the muscle pain and dry needling isnt lasting very long anymore. How long did the settling and muscle relaxing phase of healing last for yall? I'm really tempted to do botox in the muscles that pulled my spine out of alignment in the first place as those have never ceased to contract and spasm even after dry needling. I dont see how wet needling (trigger point injections) will help with the tightness, only the pain. I know stability is a big issue after the surgery but when I have to contort or force a yawn to breath all day it's a real problem. I hope you guys are doing better! I've noticed lately moving around is getting easier but still the same pain after a few minutes. But little victories are still victories and gains.