Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broken hardware

2014 ihad L4L5S1 fusion surgery 6 screws 2 rods, followed dr orders to a T. A month later i got an infection they went back and made a hole 8 in. Long 4in deep and 3 in. Wide inserted a wound vac  had that for 3 months. My right foot has been numb sence. 2015 the pain started coming back, i was getting ready for knee replacement surgery when that dr saidwhy is that foot numb, i told him it was from back surgery he sent me to knew surgeon. That surgeon said L5 is out of place, he was to fix it but when he opened it up one rod was broken then other one was bend and two screws were broke. He replaced all. My question is there a recall on the hardware

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 860
    snowbaby09 - Unfortunately, infections at a fusion site often delay/prevent spinal fusion from occurring.  If fusion does not occur, rods are known to break after several years.  The purpose of the rods is only to temporarily support the fusion joint until it fuses. I am not aware of any recall on rods, but it is worth asking your surgeon that did your last surgery and found the broken rod if s/he is aware of any such recall.